1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP !!!! No POST or System Beep after shorting FSB on motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam_555, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam_555

sam_555 Thread Starter

Hi guys, this is probably the most helpless i've felt in a long while and i'm hoping you guys can help me out here.

So this is what happened,
    1. I've been working on a very old HP Pavilion 6418 desktop which came with a Slot 1 PII - 400 Mhz processor.
    2. Managed to purchase a Slot 1 adapter which supported Coppermine processors, installed it and things were going pretty well till this evening.
    3. The computer is factory locked with a 100 Mhz FSB and I was desperate to get that up to 133 (to utilise the full potential of the 1 Ghz / 133 processor). Now the interesting thing to note is that the motherboard has only 1 of the 3-pin FSB (FS 2)terminals out of possible 4. The leads 1 and 2 are shorted out on the said terminal.
    4. Having read a lot about overclocking and how easy it had been for some guys, I decided to experiment a little, so soldered the 1st & 2nd points of the 3 non existent FSB terminals section at back of the motherboard, i.e. FS 0, FS 1 and FS 3, and decided to take a look, if it was successful. Contrary to my expectations, the computer started but did not sound the system beep, on connecting it to the monitor, there was no display, system beep or the POST screen.
    5. Then I removed the solders from the 3 FSB points and tried to check if the computer would come back to it earlier state. Sadly, this time too there was no system beep and when I connected it to a monitor, there was no video, POST screen, etc.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.

Thanks in advance for taking interest in my post.

2. replay

replay

i think that when u start soldering points on the back of a complex piece of electronics in this case a motherboard........... u in all probability have yourself a nice paperweight

3. sam_555

sam_555 Thread Starter

Thanks for the free comments. As childish and immature, your reply seems to be, i'm gonna let it slide, guess my expectations from a so called senior member couldn't have been any better.

4. replay

replay

can't really see how my comments were "childish"
    just stating a fact really!!!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did not find his comment childish; you attempted to solder pins on a mb and now you wonder WHY it does not work?

It is a little late to tell you now however hp, dell, etc cannot be overclocked. For a board that old, the pins or dip switches were removed or modified. In modern boards, the bios does not have overclocking options.

In short you tried to get a component to do something it was expressly designed NOT to do.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice