Help! No sound after 2 days of trying everything I know...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

camabelu

No sound. And no idea why. I've tried all the usual solutions on offer but no joy. I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

camabelu

I've run sfc/scannow, checked for viruses, done a chkdsk, updated my drivers and still nothing. I get the message: "failed to play test tone" when I look at my speaker info. I purchased a USB speaker and downloaded the drivers for that. Still nothing. I contacted Dell today and they're sending a USB stick to reinstall the system (they didn't send installation disks when I bought the computer late in '12. Frustrated? Me?? Yes!!
Let me know if you have any ideas. I can tell you this - "Trusted Installer" is missing from the registry but I think that's only preventing me from updating the recent Windows security stuff. Nothing sitting there seems audio related but maybe it is.

plodr

Liz
Is this your laptop?
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-1521/drivers
If so, I'm only offered drivers for XP and Vista. None for Windows 7.
If it is not your laptop, please give additional info Inspiron 152 (with whatever might be after it).

Any sound when you use a headset?
If you get no sound whatsoever, it could be the sound chip has died.

The solution would be to get USB connected sound.
Example:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4323590&CatId=4261http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4261

camabelu

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that's my computer. I did purchase a USB for sound - it's even a StarTech, but a different model. No luck with that. As I'd said, there is a message saying "failed to play test tone" when I click on the speaker icon and go to 'advanced' where it's possible to do that. Therein lies the problem but I've no idea what the solution is. It's looking like I'm going to have to reinstall - not my favoured choice. If you do have a solution to that error message, let me know. Otherwise, thanks for trying.
Cheers.

managed

Allan
You didn't say if the sound works using headphones.

Try a System Restore back to a time before the sound problem started.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Check in the BIOS set up to see if the sound is enabled and the built in microphone disabled.

camabelu

No sound with headphones. One of the first things I tried was a system restore (it seems so long ago now, alas :( ).
Can you tell me how to check in the BIOS set up to see if the sound is enabled and the built in microphone disabled? I've no knowledge about working with the BIOS set up.
Much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online