1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! No sound after 2 days of trying everything I know...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by camabelu, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camabelu

camabelu Thread Starter

No sound. And no idea why. I've tried all the usual solutions on offer but no joy. I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

2. Agye

Agye

what exactly were you doing before your computer lost sound?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Briefly state what you've tried so we don't offer solutions that have been tried.

4. camabelu

camabelu Thread Starter

I've run sfc/scannow, checked for viruses, done a chkdsk, updated my drivers and still nothing. I get the message: "failed to play test tone" when I look at my speaker info. I purchased a USB speaker and downloaded the drivers for that. Still nothing. I contacted Dell today and they're sending a USB stick to reinstall the system (they didn't send installation disks when I bought the computer late in '12. Frustrated? Me?? Yes!!
    Let me know if you have any ideas. I can tell you this - "Trusted Installer" is missing from the registry but I think that's only preventing me from updating the recent Windows security stuff. Nothing sitting there seems audio related but maybe it is.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Is this your laptop?
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-1521/drivers
    If so, I'm only offered drivers for XP and Vista. None for Windows 7.
    If it is not your laptop, please give additional info Inspiron 152 (with whatever might be after it).

Any sound when you use a headset?
    If you get no sound whatsoever, it could be the sound chip has died.

The solution would be to get USB connected sound.
    Example:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4323590&CatId=4261

6. camabelu

camabelu Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that's my computer. I did purchase a USB for sound - it's even a StarTech, but a different model. No luck with that. As I'd said, there is a message saying "failed to play test tone" when I click on the speaker icon and go to 'advanced' where it's possible to do that. Therein lies the problem but I've no idea what the solution is. It's looking like I'm going to have to reinstall - not my favoured choice. If you do have a solution to that error message, let me know. Otherwise, thanks for trying.
    Cheers.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You didn't say if the sound works using headphones.

Try a System Restore back to a time before the sound problem started.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Check in the BIOS set up to see if the sound is enabled and the built in microphone disabled.

9. camabelu

camabelu Thread Starter

No sound with headphones. One of the first things I tried was a system restore (it seems so long ago now, alas :( ).
    Can you tell me how to check in the BIOS set up to see if the sound is enabled and the built in microphone disabled? I've no knowledge about working with the BIOS set up.
    Much appreciated.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice