1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Non-genuine copy of Windows ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AlieGS, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlieGS

AlieGS Thread Starter

Hi! I'd love some help/advice regarding messages I have just recently started getting saying that I may be the victim of fraud because my copy of Windows is not genuine. :confused:

I purchased the pc used from a local pc store about 2yrs ago. I knew it was a used computer and have not really had any problems with it, so it surprised me to be getting these messages just now. I don't know how this works with reselling used pc's and the OS that's on them, and I have not yet had any success with contacting the sales person who sold me the pc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or information regarding this issue. I'd greatly appreciate it.​

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This is the only fix and it is cheaper than purchaing it thru a store.

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

3. AlieGS

AlieGS Thread Starter

Thanks ozrom1e, that helps. (y)

Now if I can only get someone from the pc shop to return my calls.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice