1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Norton disabled- HijackThis log. Please help! Urgent!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JenMet77, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JenMet77

JenMet77 Thread Starter

Hey there!
    Sorry if I go on a bit, but I'm new and I thought I should explain exactly what the problem is before I show you my log.....

I have a real problem with my Norton.
    A few months ago, I was living in a house with an NTL cable line, and tried to get braodband via NTL and then AOL. Neither worked. To cut a long story short, the AOL helpline people told me to do something to my Norton and since then it's been giving me error messages.

(I've now changed to a BT line and want to get internet installed, and so my security prob really does need to get sorted ASAP!)

Anyway, a guy from the Packard Bell helpdesk told me to go into safemode to reactivate Norton, as Norton says that I can't alter the status as I'm not the "Administrator" (which I must be as I'm the only person who uses the PC. The safemode reactivation didn't work, and everything I try to switch Norton back on, when I click on options, it gives me this message :"Access Denied. Only the Supervisor can view / change the options."

It won’t let me enable auto protect.

It tells me that Auto protect is not loaded, and asks me if I want to load it, but does not give me a choice to do so – it just says Enable, and that doesn’t work!

Anyway, is there a way that I can put Norton back up and running, or should I get rid of it and replace it with something else? (The guy from PB said I should get rid of it using rnav and something else like that and then load another program, but that looks really complicated!

My HijackThis log is below :

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 11:35:28, on 12/04/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Apps\ActivBoard\nhksrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
    C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Apps\ActivBoard\MMKeybd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Apps\ActivBoard\TrayMon.exe
    C:\Apps\ActivBoard\OSD.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.freeserve.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\apps\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACTIVBOARD] C:\Apps\ActivBoard\MMKeybd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Money Viewer (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

I would really appreciate it if you could explain what I should do - I'm pretty new to my PC, and so I'm not very technically minded (yet!).

Thanks!

JM

P.S. If you pick up any other probs that need fixing, by all means, let me know!

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you tried reinstalling Norton?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

There are things in your hijack log that need fixed. Wait for someone that is better prepared than I am to help you.

4. JenMet77

JenMet77 Thread Starter

So now I'm worried!

5. JenMet77

JenMet77 Thread Starter

In two words (if poss!), what's the best way to go about this?
    (Reinstallling Norton, I mean!).

6. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

Did Norton come on your PC or did you load it? Before removing Norton, make up your mind if you want to remove it. If your computer is registered and Norton isn't outdated, you might be able to go to their site and download a new copy. Find out first.Check their site for instructions on how to remove.Go to www.symantic.com/techsupport/. I have been using norton for 4 yrs now and have had no problems. Do you have spybotS&D and also ad-aware? Yes, there are a few things on your HJT report that are suspicious, but I don't know enough about them to make a decision. Someone more qualified them I should look at them.

7. JenMet77

JenMet77 Thread Starter

Hi,

After having got sick and tired of Norton and having called a number of helplines this weekend, I was told that Norton was blocking my access to the internet.

So I had the choice of deleting it - which I couldn't do - or running the recovery disk. So I ran the recovery disk, didn't reload Norton and downloaded AZG and something else on the recommendations of someone on a helpline. Everything seems to be working fine and now I can get access to the internet via dial-up and am awaiting the arrival of my broadband to see if that works OK.

The Norton that I had was a 90 day trial version and I didn't want to have to pay for it, so I've gone with the free (recommended) stuff off the web.

As for my HijackThis log, luckily it's no longer valid. I've run another and will be posting it, just in case there's anything that does need fixing now, but I hope not!

No, I haven't got Asaware and Spybot yet, the former I was going to get once I get broadband installed, and seeing as you said I should get the latter, I will do!

Thanks for your help!

Bye.
    JM

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice