1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, not sure what has happened to computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jj88, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jj88

jj88 Thread Starter

Something pretty strange has occured to my desktop. It was running fine two days ago. Earlier today, I turned on the computer and everything was running ok for a few minutes. Then, the screen just froze. Couldn't move the mouse and the keyboard was not responsive. The Ctrl+Alt+Del combination also was not working. Finally, just ended up turning off the power supply in the back of the computer.

In the past when this has occured, usually, I will see a screen that shows that the computer was not properly shut down and is doing a scan disk. Afterwards, it will boot up as normal. This time, the monitor displayed a message saying that it was "testing" and that the monitor was working fine but that I should check the cable or the pc. On the desktop side; within a few seconds after being powered on, a constant beeping sound is heard and the computer screen remains blank. After a few seconds of this noise, I just end up turning off the power supply in the back of the computer. I have tried a number of simple things like turning on and off the power supply on the computer, unplugging the electrical plugs but still have the same constant beeping sound. I was even able to connect the desktop monitor to my notebook to see if it was a monitor problem but I was able to see my notebook screen on the desktop montior so that probably rules out a monitor or monitor cable problem.

I really have no idea what could be causing this problem. If anyone has encountered a similiar problem or has any suggestions on how to fix this problem, it would be really appreciated.

Computer details are : WinXP Home on a P3 450Mhz with 512MB of Ram.

JJ

2. dai

dai

3. iSpec

iSpec

Sounds like either a duff MB or video card...

4. jj88

jj88 Thread Starter

Hi, sorry for such a late reply. Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out the video card and motherboard for any problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice