1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on choosing wife's laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nichos, Oct 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Hi,
    My wife has a 2 year old notebook "Asus E203N" EMMC 32GB, 4GB RAM & Win10 which keeps reporting "out of space" & crashes often.

I found this laptop in Argos at £299.9 "HP 15.6 Inch Celeron 4GB 1TB FHD" but, will it be sufficient for my wife's light home use Emails & shopping around the internet?.

A HARD DISK is a must & this one says "1TB HDD" storage. Is this a Hard Disk Drive for sure?.

Argos mostly has SSD & EMMC for storage.

But this "1.1 GHz processor speed, like her Notebook, scares me, is it too slow do you think? I've been used to 2.2 Ghz PCs.

Is this "Intel Celeron N4000 processor" any good? I always build my PCs with other Intel CPUs. ..….nick

PS. if any body knows a better comparable one, pls let me know.

2. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    Um... I think it would be a better idea to get her something with 8GB RAM and a solid state drive... Unless you're looking for a snail of a computer. 4GB will be OK; but it's really the very minimum amount of RAM for Windows these days, and it'll ensure that no exceptional performance is attained.

Even if she's only using it for light home use Emails & shopping around the internet; she wants something that's snappy and doesn't take all day.

Celeron N4000 is a dual-core 64-bit x86 mobile microprocessor introduced by Intel in 2017. This processor is based on Goldmont Plus microarchitecture and is manufactured on a 14 nm process. The N4000 operates at 1.1 GHz and a burst frequency of 2.6 GHz with a TDP of 6 W and an SDP of 4.8 W.1 Jan 2018
    Frequency: 1,100 MHz
    Market: Mobile

- That is pretty poor performance for even a mobile processor. (Although good battery life possibly.) You really want an Intel i3 or higher to be anything like good these days. Celeron & Pentium will cut it; but it'll be a very close cut as it were.

Ideally you'd be looking for a quad core; but dual-core will suffice.

While I do recommend an Intel processor in a laptop; I wouldn't buy that one above if I were you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    As they say, you get what you pay for...
    That being said, at that price point, a laptop with a 1TB drive would be an HDD not an SSD. I am not sure what an FHD might be.
    Can you share a link to the actual product?

Myself, I would chose something with a 256 GB or 512GB SSD in a portable device. It would be much faster and more reliable than an HDD

You might be able to keep the Asus going by doing some routine maintenance.
    You can download "Treesize" from the windows store. Run it as administrator to find what is taking up space on the EMMC drive.

Also, windows 10 has a disk cleanup feature:

To delete temporary files:
    In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.
    Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.
    Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    Select OK.
    If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:
    In Disk Cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    Select OK.

Low Disk Space error due to a full Temp folder
    To reset Microsoft Store, select Start >Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, then scroll down and select Windows Store Apps from the list and select Run the troubleshooter.
    To clear the Microsoft Store cache, press the Windows Logo Key + R to open the Run dialog box, then type wsreset.exe and click OK. A blank Command Prompt window will open, and after about ten seconds the window will close and the Store will open automatically.
    To reset Windows Update, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, then scroll down and select Windows Update from the list, and select Run the troubleshooter.
    Reboot your computer and see if you are still experiencing the issue.

4. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    Actually, thinking about it, you could replace her existing 32GB HDD with a new 240GB SSD. and recycle the existing laptop, in a manner of speaking.

Recycling: The environmentally-friendly option. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-9pYHYKLUw

You could either use something like Acronis to clone her existing drive to the new one, or you could start afresh with a brand new Windows installation. The Microsoft activation servers will recognise the machine by its hardware, so no need to find the Windows key.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I don't think so as the hdd is soldered to the mobo as stated by 32Gb emmc. Here's a video on this exact model tear down and as you can see there's no port to add a SSD.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

nichos; what's your budget for this new laptop?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Scroll up and read all the posts. I would do what SeanLaurence says and try to fix the existing problem. Running out of space problems can be fixed. No need to spend money when you don't need to. And a 2 yr old machine is NOT OLD.

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

No disrespect here:

The OP states that, that particular laptop has 32 GB eMMC storage. With the OS installed and all MS updates/OS upgrades......and what the owner of has installed/downloaded....it's easy to run out of space. No different on a mobile phone that has 8GB of storage. You can download only so many app and pictures before you run out of space.

With that limited amount of storage, it would be a constant battle to decide what to keep and what to uninstall/delete.

9. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    I stand corrected.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes the eMMC storage drive in that Asus E203N is soldered onto the motherboard so it can't be upgraded and there's no way to connect another internal drive.

In fact it looks like the Ram is also soldered so that can't be upgraded either.

However, I have a tablet with the same type of eMMC 32GB storage and after a clean install of Windows 10 I had about 10GB free.
    It has a weak Intel Atom Z3735G Cpu and only 1GB of Ram so it's quite slow but good enough to search the Internet, do Email etc.

So you're wife's present computer should be good enough for her needs if you can find some free space as Sean explained in post #3 or do a clean install of 10 on it.

Comparison of your wife's Cpu, the one on the Argos HP and the one in my tablet :-
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...N3350-vs-Intel-Celeron-N4000/2377vs2895vs3239

11. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx all

this must be the most comprehensive honest respond I ever had.

I can delete the Temp files, cashe & bin but Treesize, cleanup & the like I would not know what is safe to delete, especially the System files.

The win10 I got on a mem stick when it was offered for free yrs ago for my PC which had W8. I only had Win 8 Key.

Will that work on the small laptop to reinstall W10 or do I have to delete the existing, install W8 & then W10 again. is that a clean install?

Or your discription of "reset Win Update" does it without a disk? I am scared as if I mess it up I'll be in big trouble !!.

Pls exuse my ignoranse.

PS. The Asus may be more than 2 ysars old, maybe 3-4, i am told. .....nick

12. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    The upgrade from Win 8.x to 10 should proceed smoothly. The Windows Activation servers will recognise you hardware hash and automatically activate the new installation using your existing key. If this fails to happen immediately you just go into Settings > Activation and give it a nudge.

13. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Hello Sean,

my query about reinstalling W10 via W8 it is a long prosses

& I tried your suggestion:-

"To reset Windows Update, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, then scroll down and select Windows Update from the list, and select Run the troubleshooter.
    Reboot your computer and see if you are still experiencing the issue".

But unfortunately there is no "troubleshooter" option
    in the Asus notebook.

The settings of my PC has it though, so I cannot try this cure on the notebook where is needed. Could it be somewhere else? …..nick

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If this were mine this is what I would do. First I would save any personal data on it....ie doc's, pictures and any paid software you may have to a USB drive. Then I would just use the windows built in recovery options; reset pc keeping files or reset pc removing all data. Pick the one to remove all data. Then let it do it's thing. I will take an hour or more. This is MS version of a clean install and will usually suffice for the average user.

15. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanxs, will see tomorrow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice