1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on computer switching

Discussion in 'Networking' started by barca10, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barca10

barca10 Thread Starter

Well first of all hello.... i'm new here so bare with me if im not giving enough information.
    I jus bought a laptop thats has window vista and right now i dont have a router but untill i get one im trying to put the usb cable that connects to the modem onto my old computer wich runs on a windows ME and the internet wont work can anyone help me?

2. mattborn

mattborn

If you want to use the USB cable then you're going to need the installation CD that came with the modem to install the software. If I were you I'd skip the USB cable and just use a Cat-5 cable to connect the Ethernet port on the modem to your network card on the computer. Make sure your network card is 'setup to receive IP addresses automatically'. Your computer should receive an IP address from the modem and hopefully the internet is working.

3. barca10

barca10 Thread Starter

Thanx man ill try that

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice