1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on deciding softwares!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JKim1303, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKim1303

JKim1303 Guest Thread Starter

To all the laptop users that try to save space on your laptop.... what softwares do you replace so that you could save space ?

Im using an hp mini 1035nr

HELP!!!!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Well, that's not an easy question to answer as there are a lot of possibilities.

I'll give you one example an other members could also jump in to complete the list...

For me, one program everybody downloads, not really knowing its purpose other then for viewing .PDF files, is the Adobe Acrobat Reader. This software is about 100 MB! Do you need 100 MB when you simply need to open .PDF documents!?!

There are a few free alternatives out there that will do the job perfectly but for a small fraction of the space used by Adobe. I use Foxit Reader. On my computer, it only takes 5.54 MB! Simply don't accept any other add-ons while installing the software, especially the Ask toolbar.

3. JKim1303

JKim1303 Guest Thread Starter

but is Foxit Reader compatible with most file extensions?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

It's for reading .PDF files.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'd use an external HD or a large flash drive for the Data and backups.
    I'd also Remove .. or not install .. HP Image Zone if you have a HP scanner...
    and get just the basic drivers.

6. hansmax

hansmax

You could try installing PortableApps to a USB stick. There's a reduced version of OpenOffice on it that works pretty well, plus a bunch of other applications. These all run from a flashdrive (2 GB works fine), and are not installed on the computer at all.

http://portableapps.com/

It includes Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, an audio player, chat client, pdf viewer and others, and a bonus is that it leaves no traces behind on your laptop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice