Help on hard drive problems ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KKevin

Hey all,

My laptop was running Vista fine until one day it refused to boot.

I had two partitions on it. So I installed Ubuntu on the other partition after formatting it. I'm unable to mount the Vista partition as the disk utility (under Ubuntu) shows this message :
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.
The disk utility reveals there is a bad sector on the Vista partition.

I've tried running a windows XP boot CD to install XP and it says there is no partition where XP can be installed.

I should add, I have used the badblock command (under Linux) on the Vista partition and it has revealed 89 bad blocks. I'm just clueless to what to actually do to isolate them in some way because I want to recuperate the rest of the data.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online