1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by blando89, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

Hi i am new at Linux beeen messing around with it and its really cool..but i see that u can get like all the windows to form a cube and move it around how do u get that and how do u activate that so i can use teh 3D cube.. Thank you

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

There is a program called Beryl that will allow you to do this with your desktop, however, many people have trouble getting it working by themselves. I have gotten it working on several PCs, on different distributions, but the directions vary greatly between distros. Which distro of Linux do you have. I can provide some instruction to help you.

3. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

well i am goin to ITT for school for computer networking and we have to take a class for it linux and were using fedora it has like gnome on it and stuff so..which im starting to like it so im thinking about putting another partition on my hard drive to use windows and linux

4. Specsnow

Specsnow

Okay, I have worked with FC (Fedora Core) before. Here is how I'd do it:

1. Insert FC install CD
    2. Reboot PC
    3. Type 'linux rescue' when prompted
    4. Accept standard options [Eg English]
    5. Select your Linux partition used during the original FC installation when Grub was originally installed (Eg SDA2)
    6. when prompted, select allow write access [ie, NOT read only]
    7. type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' [as suggested by linux rescue]
    8. type 'grub-install /dev/sda' [assuming you wish to use the Primary boot sector of sda - you will wish to use this if you installed it here during the original FC installation]
    9. restart PC
    10. Grub should load, and your previous grub settings should have remained

Also, if you do not know the partition where linux is installed, you can use the following command while at the command prompt, before you run the 'grub-install' command, and it will list the partitions it can detect:

/sbin/fdisk -l

Hope this helps.

5. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

ok ill give it a shot tom at school see what goes on there hard drives are dumb there regular ATA hard drives on my comp its SATA so i cant hook it up to my computer..speaking of which ifi get another SATA drive cant i have one windows and the other linux and switch between them if i want if so i forgot how to do that do u set one as slave or somthing?

6. Specsnow

Specsnow

Yes, if you set one drive as Master, and the other as Slave (in BIOS), then you can have them both holding an OS. Actually you can do this with just one hard drive as well, using partitions. But with two drives, all you do is install Windows on the one without linux, then repeat the steps I gave you before to reiinstall the linux bootloader GRUB. When you do that, you will be given an option at boot for which OS you want to start, Windows or linux.

Let me know if you have problems.

7. blando89

blando89 Thread Starter

k thnx alot man ill try this out and all

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I believe beryl is gone now and is just known as compiz-fusion.

From my package manager:
    "Compiz Fusion OpenGL composing manager

Compiz Fusion is a collection of plugins and a configuration system
    for the Compiz compositing window manager. It was created from the
    remerging of Beryl into Compiz. It aims to port almost all of the
    features of Beryl to Compiz plugins, and continue to write further
    Compiz plugins."

9. Specsnow

Specsnow

Actually, the Beryl project is indeed still quite active, just the project teams have forked to create a sister-project called Compiz-Fusion. They are both relatively the same witht he exception that CF requires much more resources and a beefy system, whereas Beryl is pretty loose with it's requirements, and also, since Beryl is a long term project, it has much more support for different linux distros and for different plugins. So I'd definitely pick Beryl over CF.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Thanks for info.

Just removed from my distro I guess.

11. Specsnow

Specsnow

Well, there are a few (not many) distros that are more compatible with CF than Beryl. These are usually the Slackware-based. Yours must be one of those.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice