1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[HELP] On malicious file

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Boxify, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boxify

Boxify Thread Starter

Here's the story

Recenty, I sent my laptop to a computer shop to repair my laptop.
    After I got it back, it seems that my "Action Center" is turned off, "Firewall" is at off and my "Windows Update" is turned off.
    Then I quickly install "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" & "BitDefender Anti-Virus" and turned on all those stuff which is at off mode.
    After running "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" I got this

http://i.imgur.com/P2MYXTb.png

My question is

- Is it safe to delete them?
    - Is "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" & "BitDefender Anti-Virus" enough to protect my laptop?

[Last edit: 16/02/2013 - Typo error]

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The screenshot shows the Quarantine folder so those items have already been removed, deleting them will simply remove them from the Quarantine folder.

Malwarebytes and BitDefender will give reasonable protection.

The items detected had disabled the items you listed and are known as PUM (Potentially Unwanted Modification) this could have been done manually or could be caused by an infection. What was wrong with the PC when you sent it in for repair?

3. Boxify

Boxify Thread Starter

Before I sent in to repair, the hard disk was noisy so I thought is better to go for a checkup. After that he said that its overheating and need to change the hard disk because the rotary thingy is spoil, so yeah. That's the problem before I sent to the nearest computer repair.

What I think personally is that the person who did repair my laptop purposely did the modification so that my laptop will again be attack by viruses and I have to sent to him my laptop to him again. I don't have hard evidence though, this is just my opinion

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The only item disabled that could allow an attacker into your system would be the firewall, disabling Windows update would only stop updates and the Action Center would only stop notifications of any problems. I therefore doubt your accusation is very likely to be true, but if you don't trust the repairer don't go there, come here.

Running your system without an Anti Virus is far more likely to get the system infected than disabling those three items.

As you said in your opening post that you only just installed BitDefender am I correct to assume you had no previous Anti Virus? Without one your system is vulnerable to infections so it is very important to always have an Anti Virus program installed, running and kept up to date.

We can run a deep scan on your system just to be sure there is nothing bad on the system, please follow these instructions.

Eset online scan instructions.
    IMPORTANT ---> Please make sure you follow the instruction to uncheck the box next to Remove found threats. Eset will detect anything that looks even remotely suspicious, this can include legitimate program files. If you do not uncheck the box, as instructed, Eset will automatically remove all suspect files which could leave some of your software inoperative. If you make a mistake these files can be restored from quarantine, but it would be preferable not to add any extra work to the clean up of your system.

• Disable your existing Anti Virus following these instructions.
    • Please go here to use the Eset Online Scanner.
    • When the web page opens click on this button [​IMG]
    • If you are not using Internet Explorer you will see a message box open asking you to to download the ESET Smart Installer, click on the link and allow it to download and then run it. Accept the Terms of use and click on Start. The required components will download.
    • If using Internet Explorer the Terms of use box will open immediately, accept it and click on Start.
    • After the download is complete the Computer scan settings window will open, IMPORTANT ----> uncheck the box next to Remove found threats and click on Start. The virus signature database will then download which may take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection. The scan will automatically start when the download is complete.
    • This is a very thorough scan and may take several hours to complete depending on how much data you have on your hard drive. Do not interrupt it, be patient and let it finish.
    • A Scan Results window will appear at the end of the scan. If it lists any number of Infected Files click on List of found threats. Click on Copy to clipboard, come back to this thread and right click on the message box. Select Paste and the report will appear, add any comments you have and post the reply.
    • Back on the Eset window, click the Back button and then click on Finish.

5. Boxify

Boxify Thread Starter

I got this at the end of the scan

http://i.imgur.com/aSQvP0U.png

I do not know if I did right or not, please guide me & sorry for the delay Mark1956

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

No problem with the delay and you did the right thing.

As you have a clean result from that scan, Malwarebytes and BitDefender I'd say you can be fairly confident the PC is clean as long as it is not showing any performance issues.

Just one quick scan we can do to check for security risks.

Download Security Check by screen317 from Here or Here.
    Save it to your Desktop.
    Double click SecurityCheck.exe (Vista or Windows 7 users right click and select "Run as Administrator") and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. Press any key when asked.
    A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please Copy & Paste the contents of that document into your next reply.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice