1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on MS WORD from MS Works

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by morzh, Jul 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morzh

morzh Thread Starter

Hi, guys.

My question is akin to Tom Manke's except the stuff seems a bit more screwy.

I bought DELL P3 550MHz, with pre-installed Win98 POS (Piece of Sh.) and MS Works.
    The config. was kept factory installed. One day launching MS Word I got my comp. hung up, being able to re-boot it ONLY by pressing&holding power button.
    First, I tried to re-install the Word (uninstall-install). First time it started, the second hung up again. Didn't help. Then I re-installed the whole Works. Same problem - no start. Total hang-up with no reaction to anything but power button.
    Then I re-installed WIndows. Didn't help.
    Then I bough Partition Magic, backed up drive, formatted it, re-installed Windows and all, and then it worked...For 2 months. Yesterday same stuff happend again.

Exact description: you can launch ANY program (even Wordpad), except MS Word. Once launched, it will display Word Logo and freeze there. You can try to kill it through task Mgr, but even if you successfull (not always, as I said, sometimes it takes Power button), after this you cannot launch anything anymore - the system will complain about memory shortage (I have 64Mb). Until you re-boot.

Is there any known problem with the Word? (Combination - Dell Dimension, 64Mb, Win98, P3-555Mhz, MS Works).

My system guy said "Works is piece of s... - use MS Office." Can this be true? Would WinMe help?

Oh! I ran Memory diagnostics - came out fine. And there is automatic option on the Virtual Mem.

Regards, Mike.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

morzh
    Welcome to TSG!
    We have MS Works under WinME and have similiar problems running Word through Works. Have not had time to dig around and find out why. To work around our problem we created a shortcut to word on our desktop and go directly there bypassing Works. Haven't had any freezes since.
    May work for you.
    We don't have a dell system but we do have an 866PIII.
    Let us know if that shortcut solves the problem.
    Dave

3. morzh

morzh Thread Starter

Davey7549

Dave, thanks a lot for your advice. I also went on another site and this is the article they showed me at MS site with exact description of my problems and the remedy that worked (the one that worked was the REGEDIT one).

Here it is if you are interested.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q290/7/71.ASP?

The SOBs in MS are aware of it all right.

Well; at least I did not have to format my disk again :)

Thanks again guys.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

morzh
    Thanks I'll try the fix and see if I can do away with an extra icon on desktop.
    Glad you got yours fixed.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/48159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice