1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help on my 80gb hardisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eke21, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eke21

eke21 Thread Starter

good day!
    i bought an 80gb harddisk and as I format it to FAT32 file system, it says volume too large for file system..
    anyone can help me whats the max size of drive for FAT32 file system?
    anyways, I plan to have a dual boot system of winxp and win98, so I really need to use fat32 file system...
    thanx!

2. norton850

norton850

How are you trying to format it? If you are using the WinXP CD it will limit the FAT32 partition size to 32GB.

3. eke21

eke21 Thread Starter

i use win98 boot disk..and then when i tried to format, the volume detected was only 10Gb so I cancelled it and try to format the hd using winxp and it says volume too large for fat32... is there any other way I can have a single drive of 80Gb with fat32?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have a few options.

1 Boot with your xp cd and use the recovery console to format C as say 10 gig for win9x. Format the rest of the drive as ntfs for xp. There really is no need to use fat32 for both os unless you really need access to the xp install from win9x.

2 Use a third party app like acronis disk director to format the drive however you want.

3 Use the updated fdisk available from MS. This will see all of the drive and allow you to format it as fat32

5. kingmatt

kingmatt

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allcam/hddformat.html
    If you wish to have two or more operation system on the same computer, such as Windows 98 in one partition and Windows XP in another partition; you'd better choose FAT32, otherwise you can not access the Windows 98 partition when you are running Windows XP, or access the Windows XP partition when you are running Windows 98.
    Fat32 is limited to 32gb but at that size the cluster slack is inceredible.
    If you don't need to access the win98 partition form xp then format the primary partition to fat32, and install win98, then format the rest to ntfs.
    Win98 should be installed before xp.

6. eke21

eke21 Thread Starter

ok...the reason why I bought an 80Gb hd is bcoz my 40Gb(partitioned -> 20Gb for C:, 10Gb for E: and F:) was not enough, the space for my drive C goes as low as 200Mb...
    BTW, drive C: is for winxp and E: for win98.
    I was planning to use the whole 80Gb just for xp and my 40Gb for win98...I've got lots of stuff to install on winxp and sometimes it has problem when it is not installed on C: (based on my experience, like I installed a prog on my F: of 40Gb HD)...
    So, you mean I cannot format the whole 80Gb with Fat32?
    I really need to access all partitions when running on both OS...

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Read my post above. I explained HOW you can use fat32 for the complete drive. Select either option 2 or 3.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice