1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on network setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zuki, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

I have three computers networked at my home. Two of the computers are close to each other and the third one is some distance away. I am using a switch unit instead of a hub. When my hub died suddenly I was advised to replace it with a switch unit which I did and it works just fine. \

My question is how can I add another computer station to the network where the single computer is located without running another long cable since that is a major undertaking. Can I add another switch at that location and connect two computers to it.

Thanks and so you will know two of the computers run some computer controlled equipment and the far away computer is my general use computer.

Thanks for any help.

2. patch-man

patch-man

I would just go with a simple 4 port hub. No need to have a switch unless the length is very long. Cost wise, it is more expensive than the cable, but much easier to install:)

3. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Did not really understand your answer. Did you mean to put a 4 port hub at the end of the long cable so that I can add a second computer there and leave the switch and other cables to the computers that are close to each other as they are.

4. patch-man

patch-man

Yep. The only problem may be the length of that cable. I can't remember Cat5 specs off the top of my head, but I want to say max length is 500 meters. Anyone out there know?

I'll try to find that spec and let you know.

5. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

The length of the long cable is only a hundred and fifty feet. The problem is it goes through buried conduit, under a very low floor and other convulsions to get it run. That is why I didn't want to run another one out there. I figured a hub or switch if I could use one would be a whole lot cheaper.

Guess I will go ahead and get the unit and start in. I can always holler if I get into trouble.

Thanks for the answer.

6. patch-man

patch-man

Sounds like a plan. 150' shouldn't be any problem at all.

7. Del

Del

If I'm not mistaken, the max is 328'.
    You shouldn't have any problems at all.

8. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

Yes.the max feet for the CAT5 is roughly 300 feet + or - depending on the environment. If the speed is not an issue, you could run coax and get a 10 MBPS connection to around 600 feet.

9. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Thanks for the Info.

10. patch-man

patch-man

Thanks Del & NetEngineer, I couldn't for the life of me remember the specs. Guess it's true, the mind is the second thing to go, now if I could only remember what the first was....

11. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

If you remember be sure and post it cause for the life of me I cain't remember either.

Thanks for the help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice