1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on Processor Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimboy, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

Hey guys, I am confused. Help me pick which processor is faster. Im talking about pentium 820 and athlon 64 3300+ w/ HT. Ok first of all, the pentium 820 is a dual core compare to athlon 64 which is not but the athlon 64 has HT means its like dual core, or not? Im confused help me pick which one. And which processor in amd will you compare the speed in Pentium 820?

If I'm gonna pick I'll say that athlon 64 3300+ is faster for me than the pentium 820. Let me know if I'm wrong. The purpose of my system is mainly for gaming.

Thank You :D (y) :) :p

2. rfairweather120

rfairweather120

I'll cut the geeky crap and get right down to the point. :)

The Pentium 820 is duel-cored and runs at 2.80GHz. The athlon 64 3300+ runs at 2.4 GHz. I have always been a strong supporter of AMD because it usualy outpreforms Intel in terms of gaming. But with the athlon 64 3300+ there is one set back. It only has 256kb of L2 Cache.

L2 Cache and cache in general (to dumb it down) manages how many applications you can have running at the same time without noticible slowdown (also referred to as bottle necking) More of the cache is better and causes better preformance when multitasking.

The Intel processor has 1MB L2 Chache, because its a duel core 2 x 1MB = 2Mb Cache. This proving that the intel processor would be better for mult-tasking (Teamspeak, Msn, a game and an anti virus all running at the same time) With no visible slowdown.

I would usually recommend AMD, but honestly, I believe Intel is the way to go in this case. But this is ONLY because you suggested that specific AMD vs that specific INTEL processor. There are some very nice AMD processors out there but I just wouldnt recommend the 3300+.

Oh and by the way, HT (or HyperTransport) is a technology that helps stop bottle necking, but it is definatley NOT the same as a duelcore. Duelcores are TWO processors working together and HT is just one core.

3. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I knw that the 3300 has only 256 l2 cache thats the only drawback on that processor. Same as you thats why I picked amd over pentium because of the history of both processor. Thanks for your reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice