1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help on setting up network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by radio86, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

Hello guys,

I have three pc's at home, two desktop are connected wirelessly via router to the internet and i am able to see other wireless desktop computer via my network place in windows xp. The 3rd desktop computer connected to the router via ethernet cable however i cannot access or see that computer on wireless desktop computers. I've tried everything but i am unable to fix that. Can anyone help me on that, All 3 pcs are running windows xp professional.

Desktop Computer 1 connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable

Desktop Computer 2 is wireless enabled and is connected to the wireless router via wifi
    Desktop Computer 3 is wireless enabled and is connected to the wireless router via wifi

desktop computer 2 and 3 can see each in my network places in windows xp however unable to detect desktop computer 1 on desktop computer 2 and 3. Basically we want to see desktop computer 3 on those two machine and vice versa.

Please Help Me

Thanks in advance

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make sure print and filesharing is detected - it maybe a firewall blocking access to check each firewall and make sure your range of IP address are setup

these articles may help
    SHARING

TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

3. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

hi thanks for reply, what you meant ip range, i am newbie in networking. please help me, if possible can someone provide me step by step guide

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your router will assign IP address for a range of IP address - so it may 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.50 for example - so you want to check that the range is added to the firewall - they often have that facitity to add a local network IP range

log into the router and see what the DHCP range may be - Although I usually look at the ipconfig /all and then would set up the full range of 192.168.x.1 to .254

5. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

thanks alot for that info, the article link you provided me, does not have the option for my case scenario...my computer desktop computer 1 is connected to the router directly via ethernet cable. how do i see this computer on desktop computer 2 and 3. is there something do i have to do in windows xp?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe this helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3He1HgYyNY

whats the IP address of each of the PCs - to find that out do an ipconfig /all - see below and make a note of each IP address

Now try and PING those IP address from the different PCs - Ping see below

If you get replies then at least you know they are on the network and seen

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the ip address for each PC in the ipconfig /all results}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

7. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

hi followed your instructions and pinged the computers however i was able to ping desktop computer 2 and 3 that are connected wirelessly but was unable to connect. Furthermore while i was taking notes of the ip addresses. On desktop computer 1. the ip address was starting 192.168.1.254 in the other two computers it was 192.168.172.254 therefore ip address desktop computer 1 was different too compared with rest of computers.

this may be because desktop computer 1 connected to wireless router directly via ethernet cable. could this be the reason different range of addresses.

help please

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    dont think so - would expect then to all be on the same 192.168.x.?
    where x is the same number on all and ? changes

post back an ipconfig /all for all the PCs and make sure we know which is which

9. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

this is ipconfig/all but i reduced information, this is for desktop computer 2 and 3. please note *(e.g.111) appears on desktop computer 3 and 2. Please note ? is different unique number on desktop computer 2 and 3 and rest are same.

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.*.?
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.*.**4
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.*.**4
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.*.**4

-----desktop computer 1---ipconfig

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    theres no need to reduce anything here - and its important we see all the information in the whole ipconfig /all

no security issue with posting that info

so the ? and * dont help

would you post all the ipconfig /all for ALL three machines please - post in a separate reply fo reach and make sure we know which reply applies to which PC

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of your router? Brand and model of your modem?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice