1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help on sharing internet over wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmc, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Ok, got my network working, at least for the moment. Here's my setup: I have a BT ADSL Broadband modem, USB connection. I also have a D-Link 614+ wireless router, also has ethernet ports. Note that because the modem is USB, it does NOT connect directly to the modem, or this would be much easier.

My primary computer is wired to the router. My laptop and (and eventually another computer) connect via wireless. The laptop is currently connected fine - both computers now see each other and their shared resources (woohoo). However, I cannot get the laptop to see the internet. I am using AnalogX as a proxy server, which worked when everything was wired. Yes, I've reset the proxy info in Mozilla to match the machine's new IP addy.

Internet connection sharing is NOT enabled for the broadband connection, for two reasons: One, it will set my computer to 192.168.0.1, which is the same IP as my router. Just got it working, don't want to mess with it again. Two, not convinced it would work anyway. Would it? What would I set my router's IP to, if this is what I need to do to get it working?

Please help, I want to be able to surf in front of the TV :)

jmc

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you're not using the router as a router, I'd disable DHCP, and just use it as a wireless switch. Also, don't plug anything into the WAN port on the router, since you're already doing the routing function elsewhere.

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Ok, so my computer would take up serving DHCP? Or would I go to static IPs again? How do I tell the main computer that *it* is the one that will be a DHCP server? Simply by telling the other computers that it is the gateway?

Sorry, been having problems here, obviously I have a vaster wealth of ignorance than originally thought.

jmc:rolleyes:

4. JohnWill

What you appear to want to do is use the router as a wireless bridge to the other machines. You can't use it as a router, since you're using ICS on the system the modem is connected to, correct?

If my configuration is right, you need to disable DHCP on the router, it'll be fed through the switch section of the D-Link and the other attached machines will be able to get an IP address.

5. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I wasn't using ICS, but I did try that last night, but I couldn't get it to work. I left the computer off overnight, then this morning reset everything and started from scratch. Since I started from scratch, I started a new thread to better explain the problems that are left.

6. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

"Note that because the modem is USB, it does NOT connect directly to the modem, or this would be much easier."

It would have been nice if you had mentioned this detail at the beginning of the “original post”. Most people using routers have them connected to the modem. You might want to ask Dlink tech support if the configuration you are attempting is even possible. Some configurations just won't work. I was reading the install guide for the 614 looks like it’s expecting a router. You may be better off with using a Linksys WET11 or even better get a modem with RJ45. Tell the ISP you want a different modem.

Making multiple postings is NOT helping!
    (n) :D Making multiple postings is NOT helping!
    (n) :D

7. JohnWill

Uhh... he did mention the USB connection in the original post, look again. :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice