1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on un-installing a program...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Prelenque, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prelenque

Prelenque Thread Starter

Well I uninstall a program that I don't want- (wish I hadn't installed it lol) so I go into the windows uninstaller- and uninstall it. Yay it's gone! Or so I thought... :-(

Well then I wake up this morning and there it is in my status bar (the active icons *bottom right on my start bar, whats that called?*)... So I close out and then go to uninstall it- again. It's not there- so now I have it but it thinks it's un-installed... I have friends that use this program and they don't have problems... Is this a virus caused problem?

Also I go into it's folder via C, Program files, etc- to the program file then the only file that is left is the application folder- so I'm like yah I'll delete it - which I've done before to get rid of pesky files that weren't fully deleted using Windows un-installer- so then it coems up with this error message: "Destination Folder Access Denied- You need permission to perform this action" well I am the Admin on this computer (I'm the only user on it) and well it gives the option of trying again or canceling- I tried again about 10 times lol hoping for the best..

Well how do I get rid of this? I was thinking maybe that the file was somehow in 'use' so if I were to start up in like safemode with only windows drivers etc could I potentially delete it?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the tray icon was present when you uninstalled it, then it could not be completely uninstalled because that file was in use.

If the shortcuts are gone and it is not in your program list any more, you probably got most of it. There could still be a dll in the folder that creates the context menu for explorer and that loads each time the machine starts.

So, you need to delete the folder at boot time.

Unlocker
    Emco Move On Boot
    UnlockIt
    FreeFile

3. Prelenque

Prelenque Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give it a try

4. Prelenque

Prelenque Thread Starter

Thank you! I used your suggestion and it worked! I used Unlocker- thanks again

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unlocker is pretty handy.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

6. Prelenque

Prelenque Thread Starter

It's not giving an option to say that this thread is 'closed' or 'solved'.... the thread tools only have: Show Printable Version, Email this Page, Unsubscribe from this Thread (do I click this one?) and Add a Poll to this Thread... Thats all the tools that are there- does it have a minimal amount of time before the problem can be 'solved'?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't think so, though others have reported that problem, too. I'd suggest just refreshing the page to see if the option appears. It may also have something to do with your new status.

If you can't do it, let me know and I'll mark it for you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice