1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help on upgrading power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by balance1, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balance1

balance1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8034n Desktop PC desktop.

link to specs - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3380250&lang=en

I am looking to upgrade the video card from a 8600gt to 8800gts (or maybe gt). My current power supply is 300 w (Bestec model ATX-300-12z). From what I've read the gts needs a 450w supply or so.

Could someone recommend a good power supply that would fit and work? I've heard its farily simple to replace, but not having replaced one, I want to make sure I'm not going to buy something that's incompatible power wise or size wise.

Thanks a ton!

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It's a bit difficult to say with big name manufacturer PCs as they sometimes use custom made parts.

The best way to check in my opinion is to get a new PSU locally and give it a try. That way you can always return it (without restocking/shipping fees) if it doesn't fit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice