Help opening .wps files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rne783

Hello again my friends,

I need help getting .wps documents that I have saved on a flashdrive to open in a new pc with Windows 7.

I will assume I need to download a file converter- but I wasn't able to find many specific search results for one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

cwwozniak

Chuck
Did your Windows 7 computer come with Microsoft Works pre-installed? If so, start the Microsoft Works Word Processor and see if it will open the files.

rne783

No, it didnt come with Works installed. Just Microsoft Office 2010, but it is not activated and don't plan on purchasing it.

The files open with Word through Microsoft Office 2010 trail version, but that will expire.

The computer comes installed with MIcrosoft Word Pad, which is obviously not the same as Word, and the files do not open with it.

I am in the process of downloading the Open Office program you posted- will that be something permanent I can use to open and edit the .wps files?

thanks

valis

Yup. It will open all MS Office files. Matter of fact, I've got it on this pc I'm on currently.

valis

forgot to mention that sometimes OO has issues with macros, don't know if you use them a lot, however.

rne783

ok, cool.. well im not the one who uses the programs, its for my brother's business.. so he would need to make envelope mailing labels and things of that sort- could those business type things be done using just Microsoft Word Pad? I am trying to avoid having him spend $150 on Microsoft Office 2010, when he really doesn't need all of that. Perhaps there is another free program he can get to do those types of simple business things?

rne783

Also, is there any way to get the Microsoft Works software off of his old Compaq running Windows XP? I am guessing that'd be a no.. but hopeful...

valis

he should be able to to use OO to make mailing labels.....I just use it an alternative to Office on this laptop, but then again, I don't make mailing labels in Office, either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online