1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help ordering BitDefender

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Shortcutter, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shortcutter

Shortcutter Thread Starter

I am ordering BitDefender Total Security paid version but am confused by the extras they recommend. Do I need these to stay safe - either all of them or any of them. Grateful for any advice.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Which Windows version (7, 8.1, 10) is your computer running?

Is your computer an older slower model or a newer faster model?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Shortcutter

It is Windows 7 . I suspect an older slower but am not certain. It came with a Mesh Computer in 2007.

4. Shortcutter

I have let BitDefender rush me into paying them to install it. I have just cancelled the automatic
    renewal of a KASPERSKY AV and as it runs out today I needed to get the new one installed pronto.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that computer has a working internet connection and is able to load Windows 7, please do the following in it:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Why is there such urgency to get an antivirus suite installed?
    Are you having issues with your computer that we need to be aware of?

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Shortcutter

Long long story. Briefly my husband died in February and prior to that he had unbeknownst to us become rather confused. Consequently he got his computer and records into a bit of a mess while transferring to Windows 10 and as it became apparent that he was not coping with the admin I gradually took over. I have succeeded in sorting the accounts (fortunately he had not made a mess of the finances) and cancelling or transferring the necessaries but this entailed a lot of work; if the computer crashed at the moment and I lost my records, it would be the last straw. I have had my own computer for years because I ran my own teaching practice but had in the very early stages of his deterioration got my own computer into a mess all unaided. (We retired in 2014. I am 85 and my husband was 79 when he died). With the help of windows seven forums and techguy, I did succeed in resurrecting mine by changing my user accounts to new ones and it has been running fairly well for the last couple of years. I have been panicking because I had done so little about backups in the last 18 months and am just resuming setting them up again with Macrium. Fortunately I do not appear to have lost anything bar photos. Well, you did ask !

Kaspersky advised me I was due for automatic renewal this month. I spent a little time researching
    AVs on the web and decided to go for BitDefender instead. I have also renewed a Malwarebytes paid subscription during the last month. I realise Windows 7 is on its way out but have not been able to face coping with installing Windows 10. On occasionally have slightly groggy spells myself due to exhaustion following the funeral etc. etc. but I am fortunately not suffering from dementia at least not just yet !

I will now download theTSGSystem Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8122 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, 1023 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 467 GB (86 GB Free); M: 452 GB (422 GB Free); W: 931 GB (912 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, B75MA-E33 (MS-7808)
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your log and what you said, you already have the paid version of Malwarebytes For Windows installed in that computer.
    You definitely do NOT want to attempt to install another antivirus app (Kaspersky, Bitdefender, etc.) while Malwarebytes For Windows is installed in that computer.
    Installing 2 antivirus apps at the same time will cause all kinds of problems.
    I would leave well enough alone and keep what you currently have.

I strongly advice you to back up your important personal data before something happens to that computer and you risk losing it all.
    If you don't know how to do it, ask a computer-knowledgeable family member or friend to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Shortcutter

Thanks very much for your time and advice. Trouble is you get conflicting advice about this. But I daresay you know best. I am in process of backing up and realise that is the first priority.

Thanks again.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Definitely back up your important and irreplaceable personal data.
    And don't be talked into buying an antivirus product you don't need and which may cause you grief.
    (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice