Help. Partioned drive only gave me 7mb!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

70judge

Hi. I have XP pro, and a 15 gig drive. The drive was wiped and formated NTFS. Wanted to partion the drive. Went to system manager, changed it to dynamic, used windows interface. It would only let me do up to a 7mb partion. How do I change this? I want about a 4 gig.

The Kman

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why in the world did you change it to dynamic? I suggest that you start over, and skip the step to change it to a dynamic disk, since there's absolutely no benefit to you, and a number of downsides to dynamic disks in your environment.

70judge

Ok, no problem, I will start over. Is the disk being changed to "dynamic" what limited me to a 7mb partition?

70judge

I found the answer elseware...

"If you decide to use multiple partitions, you must determine the size of your first partition. Disk Management will show the total space available on the drive. Specify an amount smaller than the total available and Windows will create the Primary partition. With the remaining space, you can create additional partitions. Again, after creating the partitions, use Disk Management to format the drives as well."

http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=246

Thats what I didn't do in the first place. Set the primary partition smaller than the total drive, then use the manager to set partitions in the extra space. I used the whole drive as the primary. That's why I had no space to create a partition (limited to 7 megs).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, my comment about dynamic partitions still applies, you have no need for them, and they can only complicate your life.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online