1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help partitioning Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Umbrella420, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Umbrella420

Umbrella420 Thread Starter

Hello, I partitioned my hard drive before i installed XP splitting my hard drive into 2 separate partitions. I installed XP onto the 2nd partition (D:} and i used the C: for all my movies and music. No i have just got another hard drive as mine is nearly full but i want to partition my original hard drive into 1 partition (like new) if possible without losing my windows files, program files & settings and then copy all my music and movies over to my new hard drive.

What would be the best way to do this?
    Bearing in mind that my boot files are stored on the C: drive. With this been the case i was thinking it might work if i reinstalled XP after I've made it into 1 partition and label it D: drive, would that work?

Here's a picture so you get the idea of whats what
    [​IMG]

2. Megabite

Megabite

Why did you put the XP on the D part and not the C.....you will come across problems having your Operating System on the D partition

3. Umbrella420

I don't remember why lol, i wouldn't mind reinstalling XP it's just i have to keep my program files no matter what and if that can be done then i'll try it

4. Umbrella420

However i have never had any problems so far and i just want to sort it all out before i do have problems, thats all

5. Umbrella420

Anyone?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The best way to do it is to reinstall everything. You'll run into all kinds of problems trying to combine everything on to one partition. You have data and programs on both partitions.

7. WaveRunner

WaveRunner

For the benefit of others including myself it would have been nice to inform others what was done.

XP can be installed on any partiton including any logical drive in an extended partiton. It gets tricky when it is an OEM version though since XP will think there is another OS on the Hard Drive and inform you that this OEM version is for "installing on a HD as the only OS" Just go ahead and install anyway on the drive of your choice...make it "Z" if you want?! XP use the MBR and MBD to find the folder within its own OS to load its program files. Problems arise when there are...
    1. More than one formatted partition and XP wants to install its boot files on one partiton and system files on another like your picture above shows. The workaround is don't format other partions until XP is installed and don't let XP try to format these--format just the partition that XPis going into.
    2. Dual or Multi-booting ...see other threads
    3. There may be other problems I am not aware of.
    The important thing is to keep application, system and boot files on the same HD. You can put data files anywhere (ie: ext HD or Flash drive). Lock in assigned drive letters for the partition with sys and boot files--see help index in XP. You should have partitioned 2nd HD into at least two partitons-1 primary and the other extended with logical drives...for GP purpose...but not mandatory. THEN transfered all data files to 2nd HD before messing around with 1st HD.
    Hope things worked out! -WR

8. WaveRunner

WaveRunner

And to clarify the above advice...W XP will want to put its boot (Microsoft calls these system files) on the first primary partition on HD. I beleive there are three--ntldr; ntldetect; and another third one? This will be done if you put W XP on another partiton (ext with logical drive OR primary) on the same HD. AND this is OK but remember which partiton the three are on because if you delete the partiton and re-format these files will be lost. Should you have done this already and get a blank screen on boot up go to www.bootdisk.com to download the boot files on floppy to get your system up so you can reinstall these files in first partition. Better yet ...save copies of these files to partiton where XP is and then if you need to reinstall them because of the above problem you can copy them over. REMEMBER to go to folder options and uncheck hide hidden and system files to find the THREE files mentioned above. _WR

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice