1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Partitioning New Hd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by STUPIDGIRL, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

I reacently replaced my internal hd with an 80 gb maxtor. My problem is my system runs on winds 98se and on fat 32. I"m Hving trouble repartiontioning to hard drive down. I have the pc doctor that can help me do the partionioning but it needs to know the stating cylender and alkinds of other stuff i'm not formiliar with. Can anyone PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSE help me soo that I can get my computer back up and runhning.

belarc asvisor reads:OS wind 98se
    processor 533 megahertz intle celeron
    board: trigem computer, ink, congnac
    BIOS : phoenix technologies LTd 1.09 01/27/00
    local drive 15.00 gb
    Quantum fireball 1ct1

CHANGED TO MAXTOR 80 GB.
    please spell it out piece by piecs on how to repatition this disk,
    I also run FAT 32 and I know that it has to be smaller partitions for it to work.
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!:confused:

~STUPIDGIRL

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

First, why do you have to partition it? Second, I would seriously considering upgrading the O/S at this point. You can get a copy of XP Home for under $100 and that will partition the hard drive very easily in the setup process.

You can also use a 3rd party program like Partition Magic to do it or you can use FDisk to do it. Here is a guide:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/progFDISK-c.html

but its fairly easy--just follow the prompts. Just choose "Create Partition"--you need to create a primary partition and then an extended partition with a logical drive.

3. STUPIDGIRL

Also, I have tried to reinstal my os that came with my pavilion and it appears like it is installing but then when it tells you to restart computer after the instalation is complete, you restart to have nothing but a blueish blacke screen come up.
    Help me please!!!!!!

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Deal with one issue at a time--first deal with the partitioning--get that done use Fdisk and then deal with the install issues.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Please answer the question Mulder posed, why do you want to partition an 80GB drive with Windows 98 on it? We ask because for the trouble you're going to go through you should have a pretty good reason. Remember that this will set you up with drive letters you may not be used too and other differences. Once you do it you're not stuck with it but for the average user it usually means just that.

6. STUPIDGIRL

I thought I needed to partition it to a smaller size to use win 98 but I was just thinking about the FAT32 file system, it has to be smaller for that.
    O.K. so I put in my HP recovery and it goes through everything, extracting and inflating this and that, then when it says to remove cd and reboot computer I do that but when it comes back on all I get is a black screen and a blinking slash mark, no a:> or c:>.
    So what do I do now?
    Thanks for all the help so far!!!

7. norton850

norton850

You don't have to partition the 80GB drive for Win98. There are some issues that you may be thinking of including WinXP "refusing" to make a partition on a larger drive >32GB with a FAT32 file system, best use of space with the FAT32 system and problems with older versions of fdisk.

It sounds like your format and partitioning went OK and files were installed. In BIOS is the HD listed as a boot device?

8. Compiler

Compiler

There are ISSUES:

1 - Does such an old bios (Celeron 533mhz 1999 tech) support 80GB HD (when 15GB drives were the largest thing back then)

2 - WinXP is not an option for such an old CPU.

3 - FAT32 stops at 32GB. Partition is required for Win98se

4 - Original FDISK on WIN98/se will error on drives larger than 60GB, UNLESS the updated FDISK program is DL from M$ or other authrorized website (I used to have such a version, somewhere) - otherwise FDISK doesn't see an 80gb correctly. Wrong drive info by fdisk can make installing WIn98se kinda tricky and unstable.

A proper FDISK will see the 80GB and allow the user to create the parition, it will ask to create 1 large partition or 1 main and the secondarys. (32GB is still the limit).

Most of us have been using WinXP for a while now - its been 2 years since I've used FDISK and it became tricky with 200GB HDs.

Stupidgirl (and I dont get slapped for it) - I recommend its time to upgrade if you need the space and such. It would be EASIER... Or locate another 20 or 40GB HD (but nowadays, anything under 200GB is rare) but 40GBs are available for $40~60 if you cannot or do not have that FDISK replacement update.

I'm not rich myself - my PC is not the best, but if its in your budget - nows a good time to shop as your system has lasted you at least 7 years.

I saw this at Walmart:

$300 - Emachine - Celeron 3ghz / 512mb / 80GB HD / DVD-ROM-CDRW combo drive.
    (But I wouldn't recommend this machine)

$550 - HPAQ - AMD64 3800 / 512mb / 160GB HD / DVD-RW drive (Does CDs too) and the system INCLUDES a 17" LCD Monitor - a $175 value.

These include WindowsXP (which would cost you $100) and you can get a refund for the HD... it will save you some headaches. But you'll have a new PC that'll run quite a bit faster. Just uninstall some of the junk these PC companies give you (Norton Antivirus trial, WildTanget games, printer drivers that are preinsalled) And download ZoneAlarm (Firewall) and AVG (Antivirus) which are both free and work great.

Note: M$ and many software companies no LONGER support Win98 (which was quite good), so updates and functional software is becoming a problem. You'll get a new system ready to go and it works very much like Win98... just that some of the settings are in different places. But new printers, cameras, USB devices will work better.

Good luck!

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Nice roundup Compiler. As you say there are many really good deals out there. They aren't gaming machines but for the $$$ quite an improvement for her or anyone using their PC for email, internet, some home applications like geneology and others.

PS: STUPIDGIRL, think about creating a new screen name after this thread. You aren't. You're here doing what smart people do, ask questions when necessary. Sorry, can't help butting in. That's my butt-in allotment for 2007 :D

10. Compiler

Compiler

That $550 Compaq system (AMD64 + 17" LCD) can do all home applications, video rendering (Hey, we did it on 1Ghz PCs) and play some games, especially with Video gaming card added. Its not the fastest, but for the price - its quite good.

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Just a guess...

Go here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm download the Windows 98 se OEM boot disk, once downloaded double click on it and let it create a bootable floppy...

Boot the HP with the floppy, at the A:> type in Fdisk, answer yes to enableing large disk support...

At the menu select Show Partition information, and let us know which one has an A beside it...

12. STUPIDGIRL

Thanks for the info on the boot disk. O.K. under partition it has 2 entries the first has C: 1 and the other just has a 2. The first one has an A by it. but I am confused about a couple of things, first under mbytes it doesn't list anything for the 1 partition but for the 2 it has 12618, and under usage it doesn't have anything for partition 1 but for 2 it has 100%. Does the primary DOS not have any mb? And why is it not reading that the hd is larger?

I would love to get another computer and I am also interested in eventually building my own computer but my hubby is not very interested in computers and he figures that since this one still works that there is no reason to spend that kind of money to buy another one. The 80 gb hd is actually an external that I had bought some time back and someone had suggested that I install it in my hp. I currently just had it plugged into my computer through the usb. I just thought that it might be better if it were installed instead.

Griffinspc, I actually have thought about changing my screen name. When I first came here to ask questions I just happened to be the first thing that came to mind. :rolleyes:
    My older sister has always been into video games like nintendo and sony, and when she would play Tomb Raider she would always call Laura "stupid girl" cuz you know sometimes you try to make the game do one thing and it tends to do another. So when I came here asking stupid questions it just seemed to fit.

I don't know if it would help here but I do have a PCDoctor cd-rom. It is supposed to help with partitioning and such but I couldn't use it cuz it needed to know starting points and ending points and other stuff that I don't know. So if anyone is familier with it and thinks it can help, its here.

Thanks for all your patience and advice so far.;)

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

Just for grins and giggles...let's try this...

Reboot with Fdisk and set the active partition to the #2 partition ( we can always change it back), reboot without the disk, and see if it will load the OS...

14. STUPIDGIRL

O.K. Tried that, didn't work. I think I'll just put my old hd back in and leave it at that.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Hey Jedi_Master, (BTW, love your screen name) I'm in Ky too. Not far from Elizabethtown. What general area are you at?

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I'm from Catlettsburg...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice