1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help PC not switching in!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbaasit, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:13 AM.

Advertisement
  1. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

My PC which is prob about 8 years old.

It wont switch on :(
    I've tried replacing the power cord; plugging into the wall instead if the power bar; unseated and re-seated all the connects to the mainboard.

Could it be the power supply, or perhaps even the power on switch? A few days ago it was working just fine, then the following day it wouldn't switch on! A day later it did switch on but about 5 hours later it randomly shut off!

ASUS M3N78-VM; CPU AMD 7750 Black Edition @ 1350MHz; System Memory 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM; BIOS Type AMI 0907, Date 01/13/2009; Address 1024kb; Bios AGESA: 3.3.1.0; Video Adapter PCI NVIDIA GeForce 8200 (Textured Mem: 1839 MB); Device Audio: ASUSTeK Computer MCP72XE

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This may be indicative of a failing (or failed) PSU. Since you've been in the PC casing, can you see any lights on the motherboard when you turn it on?

AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

None

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

On this motherboard, the standby power LED denotes if there's power being received. Since that's not on, and you've checked all the cabling to ensure it's connected securely, I'm guessing the PSU has failed.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  5. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

I did try the paperclip test courtesy youtube vids. That didn't show anything. No fan on the PSU started.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    What PSU is it ?

7. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    Yeah your psu sounds dead

8. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

How about the Battery? I read a couple ppl took their old battery out and with the new one in, they have no problems!

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You can try a new Cmos battery but it seems like the Power Supply Unit (PSU) is the problem, again what PSU is it ?

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

Here is another vid
    You did turn the power switch back on to test? Are you sure your cord is good and your outlet has power? Make sure your voltage switch is set for what you have 110V or 220V. I had one that the voltage switch got dirty and had to move it back and forth to get it to work. (not while it's on)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First some observations;
    1 Testing a pw supply with a paperclip is useless. It does nothing to test the unit under a load. A MUCH better test is to swap in a known good pw supply. Note known good does NOT mean new; it means a pw supply pulled from a working system that you know works. A pw supply can be DOA just like any other part and that will really mess up your troubleshooting
    2 A cmos batter will not stop the system from pw ON. There will be errors ie time/date, no boot device, etc, etc however it will pw ON
    3 Your motherboard is now 10yr old and [IMO] it is not worth putting any money into 10yr old tech. Up to you if you want to attempt to fix this system. The very first thing to do is swap in a known good pw supply for testing.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice