1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help picking Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hlmichel, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hlmichel

hlmichel Thread Starter

Some time ago I posted concerning a system that was having problems booting. Following advice I received here, I checked the motherboard to find that many of my capicitors were swollen.

Before posting here, I suspected my power supply. It was about 7 years old. I goofed and ended up with one of those ATX 12V supplies with the extra connector. The kids had quickly destroyed the box and trashed the receipt.....

Recently a co-worker gave me a $40 Best buy gift card as a thank you. I picked up 512 megs of PC2700 (PNY). I then headed down to Fry's for a ECS N2U400. They were out.... Good thing, as I have heard a few bad things about that board.

So, to make a long story short; what do you recommend? I'm looking for a stable board that will accept my 200 FSB Athlon 1.1 gig and my PC2700. It needs to be a board that will accept the new power supply. AGP 4x is fine, but I would like USB 2.0.

And I'd like to keep the price around $100 or so.

I've been researching for a few days but don't really have time--Four kids ;)

Thanks for any help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. hlmichel

hlmichel Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply. I checked out the board and it seems to have everything I want. A huge plus is its long list of supported processors. I think we have a winner.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Price aint bad either

5. hlmichel

hlmichel Thread Starter

So I ended up getting the GA-7N400S-L from Newegg. I read a couple of reviews and user comments. The only complaints I heard on this motherboard only applied to overclockers--doesn't apply to me.

Setup was a breeze; just one dip switch.

The entire setup took about two hours; most of that spent re-installing Windows XP.

The best thing is that my upgrade options are wide open.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice