1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help picking new HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rarodrig, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

I have:
    1.7G P4 with a 400mhz Front side bus
    256M 133 SDRAM
    80 G HDD ATA/100

My HDD seems to be failing, so I gonna get a new one...

Do I have enough info to pick the right one, ie ATA/100 vs ATA/133 vs 150?

Need advice soon, crashes are getting more frequent :confused:

2. flash777

flash777

who makes the hard drive you have?

3. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

It's the orignal HDD. It's a Sony PC and I don't have the cover off yet.

It's under a desk and I was hope to pull it out only once, but I can if needed.

4. flash777

flash777

some hard drive manufacturers make Diagnostic utilities.

5. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

It's a Maxtor 4D080H4

6. flash777

flash777

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=22

The PowerMax utility is designed to perform diagnostic read/write verifications on Maxtor and Quantum hard drives. These tests will determine hard drive integrity. The PowerMax utility is effective on all ATA (IDE) hard drives with a capacity greater than or equal to 500 MB. Maxtor recommends the use of this utility for troubleshooting potential hard drive problems.

quote from site
    hope it helps

7. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Ran Powermax, both quick and long diagnostics. Both check Ok.

This PC couldn't find the "system disk", ie HDD for a couple of days about a month ago, then starting working fine, until this week. Now I have my user profile file corrupted this week, still not recovered. And this intermittent "can't find system disk". It's working right now... but??

So, that's why I'm thinking HDD problem. Any other ideas?
    :confused:

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can't find system disk may be a bios issue. Perhaps the motherboard battery needs to be replaced.

9. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Ran Powermax, both quick and long diagnostics. Both check Ok.

This PC couldn't find the "system disk", ie HDD for a couple of days about a month ago, then starting working fine, until this week. Now I have my user profile file corrupted this week, still not recovered. And this intermittent "can't find system disk". It's working right now... but??

So, that's why I'm thinking HDD problem. Any other ideas?
    :confused:

10. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

PC's about 2 two years old. How do you tell? Can you test the battery or something?

Could that be intermittent? This has happened now twice on the last 30 days. Seems like a battery would die and stay dead.

11. ck2000r

ck2000r

Make a back up of important thing. If your looking for a new hard drive you'll need to know if your motherboard has a SATA connector if you want to put a to use the 150 hard drives. They are pretty easy to spot small and L shaped if the motherboard does have one then you need a IDE HD I would suggest Samsung spin point I have one a second HD and I havn't heard even a whisper out of it (same can't be said for the WD Raptor) you should be able to pick up 120GB quiet cheap. But don't lose all hope your hard drive may be save yet.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually a weak battery can be intermittent. If you have a tester, you can test it, but they run about $3, so, if you don't have a tester, that wouldn't be a wise investment ;)

13. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Got the new battery. So, I'll just watch it and see if that fixes.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/237620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice