1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help picking out a CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UltimateZebra, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltimateZebra

UltimateZebra Thread Starter

Looking to upgrade my PC to run games on high/ultra or medium within a budget of $400-$450 if possible

• Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 @3.10GHz
    • RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Dual-Channel DDR3 @665MHz
    • Hard Drive: 1.0TB
    • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Graphics: Zotac GT 430
    • Power Supply: 300W
    • Motherboard: Acer Aspire M3970

What're the steps I need to take in order to have a PC capable of running most games relatively well and new games releasing?

My thoughts were getting a new GPU, PSU and switching over to a better computer case would be the fix, then realized the CPU may hold the PC back since it's only dual core...

If I need to upgrade the CPU that pretty much cuts my budget in half since Intel is so damn expensive, what do you guys think would be my best option or route to go?

Thanks for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why bother upgrading a basic Acer? This is something many people waste their money, time, and effort on way to often on when they really should sell the system as is and buy/build a proper gaming system. Even after you upgrade the graphics card, power supply, processor, and case, you will still be left with a low quality Acer motherboard. Save your money, then sell this PC as a whole and do it right. But that's simply my opinion.

By far the biggest thing holding you back is the graphics card, it's simply not a gaming graphics card. For the graphics card to work you will need a better power supply. You could live with the case and processor, the processor isn't that bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice