help, pictures trapped in dead computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pseudoname

Hello. I found your site through http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/762813-how-get-pictures-off-old.html

I wanted to reply and ask if I should worry that the virus that ruined my old laptop can sneak into the suggested cd or usb link

A while ago yahoo mail got hacked and my computer's registry got all changed up. the pc store guy says all they can do is install a new os but it'd loose everything I had and isn't worth the cost. I only want my pictures on there. is there any way to safely get them out?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
pseudoname
Welcome to tech Support Guy
It would have been little use posting on that topic anyway as the last post was 2008 - 4 years ago

What is the make and full model of your computer and can you still boot into windows
I presume not but please confirm
Which operating system in full please
eg windows xp professional sp3
windows vista home premium sp2
windows 7 home premium sp1
etc

SUEOHIO

SUE
If the harddrive itself is ok and not dead you can try using a usb sata/ide connector if its laptop and see if you can salvage anything on there provided you know how to remove the harddrive. im thinking on a desktop it might have to be done a little differently.you might want to take it somewhere and get another opinion and see if the stuff worth saving can be transfered to an external harddrive.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Use a "live Linux" CD like Puppy or Knoppix. You should then be able to copy files to a USB without fear of transferring a Windows virus unless it is hidden inside a picture file.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I wouldn't exactly call that easier ;) , however, even though he says he hadn't seen it work, I suspect it would.
The OP just needs to remember to not continue with the install.

Also I would prefer a none Windows solution as the original nasty was a Windows virus and if it was the "drive by" type, just browsing the disk could possibly affect the Windows code in memory.

crjdriver

I would boot the system with a bootable AV scanner and scan the drive. Most of these I have seen use a linux based os SO there should not be a problem even if the drive is still infected.

I have had good success with the bootable AVG however there are others you can try as well. Once you scan the drive, then you can connect it to a working system and copy whatever you want. You could also just boot with linux and copy whatever to a flash drive; up to you which way you want to proceed.

If you want to use the AVG scanner, here is a site with instructions on how to make the bootable usb.
http://www.pendriveapps.com/avg-anti-virus-rescue-usb/

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
pseudoname
It is seven days now since you asked for help.
Would you kindly update your topic and indicate if you still require our help.
Thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online