Help please - accessing web sites via Wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerryblue

I'll type out my problem and hope you can please help before I go completely mad!! (lol)

I have been connected to AOL 9.0 (Gold) on my desktop since August using a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router. All is working very well - no problems - I can access all websites that I wish to access quite quickly on the desktop. I have now bought a laptop with wireless for Christmas for my son. The laptop has picked up the router signal and connection is very strong - no problems accessing the BBC.co.uk site and various others (eg Currys Electrical). But ... I cannot access Ebay and MSN Messenger and FaceParty (which my son would like to use to "chat"). We get the message "cannot find server" and "page cannot be displayed" on the main page. I am really confused as to why some sites can be accessed but some can't (and the ones he really wants can't be accessed - typical!).

Have tried adding the sites manually to "restricted sites" area but still can't access them even tho I have added the full address http:// etc.

Is it is router or AOL who is the problem?? I think they are going to advise me to upgrade to platinum - which I really don't want to do.

Have contacted AOL online help but the information I have been given all involves using AOL (ie .. once you are on AOL type Securefix into the browser address bar at the top of your AOL Desktop)... I don't have AOL on the laptop!!

Stupid question but do I have to load AOL on the laptop using a CD? I hope not as I was hoping to be able to use it standalone via wireless. Or am I being very naive?

Sorry if some of my queries are not very well explained but I think I've come to the end of my tether with this problem which I think probably has a very simple solution. Well, I hope anyway!!

Please would you be able to help or know where I can get some sensible advice?

TerryNet

Terry
Sensible advice is free and easy: ditch AOL.

For help I hope somebody who understands AOL reads and responds to your thread.

Kerryblue

Thanks! Think that's going to be my next step. But to keep my son happy until I do that (cos I imagine its a long and painful process!!) I would like some help if possible.

If your son has any type of parental control setting on his AOL screen name, he won't be able to access MSN Messenger irrespective of what else you do.

In order for him to access Messenger, you have to set the parental control to "General"; not even Mature Teen will allow access to Messenger.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online