Help Please!!!! (Can't get MOBO to post)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmdmkm

I have a computer that when you turn it on the fans kick on it sounds like it is going to boot then turns off right away. We took the computer to our local computer store they could get to boot by removing on stick of ram they determined that the north bridge fan was bad so I replace the motherboard and ram leaving the sound and video card still the same thing. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I built this computer so I kind of know what I am doing but This is about to drive me crazy.
Thank you

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Sounds like a marginal P/S, but it could be a number of things. How about some details on the pieces?

The same thing happened to me and I had a video card that was not completely seated. Are you getting the normal one beep to bootup? If not, what sounds are being made?

dmdmkm

No beeps at all I hear the fans kick on and then right back off then I have to flip the on/off switch on the back of the cpu and hit the power button on the front and get the same thing.
The only thing that I did not try was a new video card. Would this be something that would happen if your video card went out

What BIOS are you using? Standard codes for no beep is power supply or system board problem. I would try using a different power supply.

dmdmkm said:
No beeps at all I hear the fans kick on and then right back off then I have to flip the on/off switch on the back of the cpu and hit the power button on the front and get the same thing.
The only thing that I did not try was a new video card. Would this be something that would happen if your video card went out
No--usuallly you get a long beep and a couple short beeps.

You know, I forgot to ask--what do you have connected?

When I'm having a problem with getting boot up, I take everything out--just have montor and video card and that's it. See if you get it to boot.

BTW--change your thread description because "Help Please" don't clue people in on what the problem is.

dmdmkm said:
We took the computer to our local computer store they could get to boot by removing on stick of ram they determined that the north bridge fan was bad so I replace the motherboard and ram leaving the sound and video card still the same thing.
I'm sorry I'm a bit confused here, the pc store was able to get it to boot by removing a stick of RAM, correct ?

And then they determined that it was the North Bridge fan ( never heard of such, seems to me you could just replace the fan, could be wrong though )...

dmdmkm

I changed the power supply. Tried ram. The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-8Iexp dual bios

dmdmkm

Yes they got it to boot by placing one 512mb stick of ram in the motherboard. They said they had never seen anything like it I brought it home tried the same thing and got the same thing. I have a different motherboard and processor in the computer now and I get the same thing.

Okay, I am confused now. Are you saying that you the old MOBO would not boot, but the repair shot got it to boot by putting in different RAM, but there was another problem with it, so you got a new MOBO--and it does the same thing?

Is the new MOBO the same exact model?

And you tried a different power supply?

Have you taken eveything out except the video card?

dmdmkm

The repair shop just removed all ram in the cpu except for on stick got it to boot they said that the north bridge fan had went out and that it probably had gotten 2 hot and that the board was no good. So I replaced the board and cpu and no it is not the same model but yes it does the exact same thing and yes I replaced the power supply.

dmdmkm said:
Yes they got it to boot by placing one 512mb stick of ram in the motherboard. They said they had never seen anything like it I brought it home tried the same thing and got the same thing. I have a different motherboard and processor in the computer now and I get the same thing.

Well since you replaced the motherboard, I would hazzard a guess that it is grounded against the case, I would suggest that you thake the motherboard out of the case and assemble it there...

As far getting it to boot with a stick of 512 memory, yes I could see that, ran accross a bad motherboard that had a bad DMA chip that would boot when cold, or you replace the memory chip with one that was higher in capicity...

they said that the north bridge fan had went out and that it probably had gotten 2 hot and that the board was no good.
Someone correct me, I've never heard of a North Bridge fan ???

It's usually a heat sink...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online