1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please, computer keeps turning itself off!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ste1337, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste1337

ste1337 Thread Starter

Hi, the other day i was just browsing the internet on my PC, and all of a sudden one of my fans started going crazy and it eventually started to slow down and stop. Iv taken my PC apart and discovered it is a fan on a nVidia heat sink attached to the motherboard. This heat sink has a metal rod that goes to the graphics cards of mine which are bridged 9800 GTs.

Can anybody identify this component so i can replace it/get a new fan for it if possible? Iv never seen one before, not brilliant with computers these days...

Thanks in advance for any help, heres the picture

[​IMG]

2. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

it could be a integrated graphics chip. but i have not seen one with a fan before. could you take a photo that shows more of the pc that would help identify the part

3. ste1337

ste1337 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Heres a picture of the full motherboard, thanks are these components replaceable?

4. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

it does look to be a integrated graphics chip-set fan. as to replacing it, fan wise i would have thought so if you look online there seem to be replacement fans on sale though a different make (my search was only a brief one you may have more luck). chip-set i don't think so but you can disable it an uses a graphics card instead.

though looking at it you seem to have graphics cards in place anyway so the chip-set is not all that necessary

5. ste1337

ste1337 Thread Starter

Yea i have 2 bridged 9800 GTs in there, do you know how i can go about disabling the built in graphics? Thanks for the help mate :) really appreciated

6. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

in device manager look for the integrated chip-set (what ever its called but should be easy to work out) and in its properties there should be an option to disable it somewhere

7. ste1337

ste1337 Thread Starter

In device manager under "Display Adapters" it says there are 2 nVidia 8800 GTX there, and i cant find any integrated chip set up any of the options :/ i noticed the PC stays on for a reasonable length of time if i dont open up any graphics intense programs so its definitely video related. Do you have any other ideas what it may be? A friend of mine said it could be the VRAM?

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

That looks like a northbridge heatsink.

Can you post your full system specs?

You're sure the pump on your loop is running, correct?

9. ste1337

ste1337 Thread Starter

Bought the computer from Alienware about 8 years or so ago, iv formatted it a few times since though...

Heres the specs as accurate as i can give
    XP Professional
    Intel Dual Core 6400 2.13GHz
    2046MB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX x2 (bridged)
    720w Power Supply
    Liquid Cooling (Processor only)
    not sure on the motherboard i cant get that info up

The pump for the liquid cooling only runs on the processor so i dont think it will affect the part that is broken?

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you post any more pics?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The metal rod is what appears to be a heat pipe. Before you spend any money, I would get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. Look for any caps that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice