1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please, Computer shutting off.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Airbornedaddyuk, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airbornedaddyuk

Airbornedaddyuk Thread Starter

Hi

I have just completed a format of my computer and re-installed all the software. Now when I try to rip a cd onto the hard drive using either Windows media player 10 or Itunes, the computer switches off like it has over heated. I have had over heating problems and this is just the same except it can happen straight after switching on when cold. I partitioned the HDD when formatting so that I could put all my music on the 20 Gig partition. It was working fine before the format:( .Can anyone help?

My Spec is:

Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    512 Ram

I have run Norton Anti-Virus

Thanks

ABD

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Separate the ripping from the saving process. That is, try to rip your audio to the system disk partition, and see if the error occurs again. If not, then the 20 GB partition is the source of problems.

By the way, Exact Audio Copy has the best reputation among audio ripping applications. Its freeware.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When did you partition the hard drive before the formatting or after the initial formatting?

What program did you use to partition the drive?

4. Airbornedaddyuk

I used XP to partition during the installation process. I have also tried ripping to the other partition, this time media player caused the computer to freeze totally leaving the re-set button as the only option. Itunes caused the computer to restart itself and it restarted completely frozen!!! Arrrrrgh.

I'll give the reccomended free-ware a go and see what happens.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

ABD

5. Rockn

Rockn

Just ripping should not cause your computer to shut off. If you are ripping them as MP3s it does take a lot of processing power to convert them into that format and thus make your CPU work harder. Do you have any fan or thermal monitoring software on your computer you can use to monitor your temps? I would also open the case and make sure all fans are working and aren't clogged with dust.

6. Airbornedaddyuk

I cleaned out the dust from the processor heat-sink and the power supply. Then I tried the Exaxct copy free-ware which got further that the other two before shutting down. I'm putting this down to the lack of dust and the pc taking linger to overheat. The processor fan works fine and blows strongly onto my hand, the power supply fan, however, does spin but hardly causes the hairs on the back of my hand to move. Could this be my problem? Should it be blowing stongly out the back of the tower?

I have no way of monitoring the temps

Thanks

ABD

7. Airbornedaddyuk

8. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Does your PC reboot if you do nothing just wait?
    Does it reboot if you do other things, start programs, open folders, etc?
    Or is reboot specific to audio ripping process?
    Can you copy files from one partition to the other?

9. Airbornedaddyuk

Pc runs fine doing all other stuff (I don't game on it tho') it only happens when ripping to MP3 although, thinking back, it has just switched off before now, I'm sure this is an overheating problem.

Yes I can copy from partition to partition.
    The re-boot isn't always just that, 9.5 times out of 10 the PSU 'fuses' for want of a better word and I have to swith off and on again at the rear of the tower. Sometimes the tower is so hot it burns. I have ordered a 400W PSU with dual fans to see if this will help.

Thanks for your help:rolleyes:

10. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

It may be an overheating problem, except, as you said, it happens even "straight after switching on when cold". So I think there may be something more to this story.

After replacing PSU, if the ripping still fails, try ripping audio tracks to wav, i.e. without compressing to mp3. Exact Audio Copy can do this. See if it fails this way. If it succeeds, then compress the obtained wav-s to mp3. If it fails, then the mp3 encoder is to blame.

11. Airbornedaddyuk

Just switched the PSU for the new one with the extra fan and have successfully ripped a cd using iTunes.

It would seem that overheating was the cause.

Thanks for the help

ABD:cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice