1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP PLEASE HELP with Maxtor One Touch External Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cptsteadman, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cptsteadman

cptsteadman Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor One Touch 200GB external USB/Firewire drive. The drive has been working fine for months... well until now.

Windows no longer recognizes the drive under "My computer"
    I have checked the device manager, it says device is working, I have checked the USB Hub controllers in device manager, "working fine".

If I press the "one touch" button, then my computer starts the Retrospect program, but that program doesn't recognize the drive is exists either.

I am using USB connection, as I don't own a FireWire cable, but if that might work, I'll go buy one. The drive is humming normal, lights on, but if I try to boot my computer with the drive on, then the computer "hangs" up, when I turn the Maxtor off, the computer continues the boot sequence.

I hope someone can help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Something must have changed. Have you done anything new involving the USB ports?

Try looking in BIOS setup. You'll probably see some entries referring to USB, like legacy support for keyboards, etc. See if changing any of those improves matters.

During the boot process, where exactly does it stop? Does Windows start to load (or whatever OS you are using) and then stop, or does it stop during POST?

Were there drivers accompanying the drive or did it rely on drivers supplied by your OS? It sounds like a corrupt driver if the OS starts to load and then hangs.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IMO, Firewire is superior for use with disk drives, much lower overhead and about 50% faster transfers is my experience. However, we should try to get the drive working first. :)

I'd try it connected to another system, which will quickly tell you if it's the drive or your system. If it works on the other system, try this:

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

4. cptsteadman

ok, I connected my drive to my other computer, Dell Laptop running XP Pro, I installed the drivers from the Maxtor CD first (which is what the Manual says) and then rebooted and connected my drive.

Upon booting up, XP "found new hardware", .. completed the process, and said new hardware was "successfully installed". But.... Can't see anything in my computer. This is the same on both computers. The laptop is less than a month old, and I had never before connected the Maxtor drive to it in the past. I will get a Firewire cable and test that option.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Wait a minute! Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.

Tell us what Disk Management thinks about that drive...

6. cptsteadman

Disk Management doesn't see it either. It only shows the IDE drives in my computer.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like the drive if 2 computers can't see it. Try cleaning the lens.

8. dazhoop

dazhoop

I "safely removed hardware'd" my drive at the end of the working day, and shut down the machine as normal. I had installed no new h/w or s/w that day (in fact, I did very little work at all). Next day, machine boots up and whilst the o/s knows its there (there is a "safely remove hardware" option for it, I can not view the drive through Explorer, Frigate3 or even the command prompt. I have tried going into Disk Management, but again, it does not show, nor is there a 'wizard' option. I connected the drive to an identical PC in the office and it worked without a problem.

I was running WinXP 2003 SP1 at the time. As I could not get it to work I applied SP2, but still no joy. Any ideas guys??

9. dazhoop

dazhoop

After more fiddling about I have managed to get the drive back. Here's how for anyone's future reference;

1) Went to "Safely Remove Hardware" screen
    2) Ticked the "Display Device Components" option
    3) Right clicked on the actual Hard Drive name
    4) Selected Properties
    5) Chose "Optimize for Performance". (This may not have been necessary, but I decided to write my personal solution in the order I did things ... your choice on this bit)
    6) Click on the "Volumes" table
    7) Click "Populate"
    8) At this point it found my drive but allocated it to F:, whereas previously it had always been E:. I disconnected my mapped F: drive that already existed and then clicked 'OK'.
    9) Go into Computer Management / Disk Management as described above, highlight the drive, right click and choose "Change". ( I personally changed it back to E: and then re-mapped my F: drive)

It now appears in Explorer/Frigate and is back to normal. Hopefully the same solution will work for anyone else ... good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/264600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice