1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP PLEASE,IBM ThinkPad A20m 2628 inaccessable_boot_device PXE-E61:MediaTestFailure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tortordgy, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tortordgy

tortordgy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I really need help! I have a IBM ThinkPad A20m type 2628 Pentium III 700MHz 128MB 12gig HD with Windows 2000 Pro. I do own System Suite 5 and it's updated weekly with AV and backups done religiously. I was copy some pics to floppy when it locked up and I had to reset it. It never booted again. I get a blue screen that Say's "STOP :<0x814418B0, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000>(0x8148B910, 0x0000007B, 0x8142F450 these show up intermittently) inaccessible_boot_device. Check for Viruses, remove any new configuration. Run CHKDSK /F (tried"Command not known") to check for HD corruption then restart computer. Refer to manual for troubleshooting stop errors." Now, I found I can't get it to boot at all, even in "safe" mode or any of the options after pushing the F8 key to get to the advanced options. It will always go to the Blue stop error screen almost all the time. Now the only times I get around it is with the System Suite 5 rescue disk, but when it boots to the "Help Screen" it shows none of my backup's to be there. I can get into BIOS F12 "Boot Menu" option 5. MBA UNDI (Bus0 Slot3) It then Say's,"PXE-E61:Media Test Failure, check cable" This is the only diagnostic I found that seems to work or find something. Other than that I always get the "Evil Blue Screen".I'm sure this is not a Virus, cause if anything I'm obsessive about scanning for Virus. The place I got my IBM from wants $50. just to diagnose the problem. I don't know if i dare try to handle it myself since this is my second computer and I have never had one apart. I have tried some basic DOS commands advised to me by the System Suite 5 manual and all I get is a response of, " Command not know (or recognized)"
    Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I'm open to all input. Please advise.
    Thanks, CScott/tortordgy

2. jargonize

jargonize

sounds like a hardware problem.

3. tortordgy

tortordgy Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was guessing that too, but unsure from my lack of knowledge.
    I'd love to fix it myself, but I got a feeling without proper training that I'd make things worse. I'm kinda out in the woods where I am, but I think I'm gonna have to find a class to take to bring me up to speed. Your input places me on the right path and ads to my knowledge, so Thanks Again.

4. tortordgy

tortordgy Thread Starter

I took my Think Pad to a Tech and it was a bad mother board. So I thought I'd leave this follow up for any other people in the future who have similar trouble.
    IBM quoted me $400+ for a new MB and I don't care to waste money on used parts, so I will sell this one for parts on ebay and get a new DELL laptop for like $600. that has a warranty. Just makes more sense. I'll miss my little Think Pad though. R.I.P.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

5. pgro

pgro

Just for the record should anyone else (like myself) stumble across this thread having encountered the E61 error on their IBM ThinkPad. I was able to solve the problem.

The machine would not boot XP, or if it did, would only hold the windows system for a few minutes.

To cut a longish story short, the problem was quite simply the hard disk was not fully located into the body of the laptop. Reinserting it fully, then tightening up the retaining screw, seemed to do the trick, and the machine then booted XP without error, and has remained very stable ever since (some four days ago).

Hope this helps someone...

pgro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice