1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP Please Linksys Wireless-N Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jwhite508, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwhite508

jwhite508 Thread Starter

I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-N Router WRT160N v.2
    I will randomly get a message when trying to view any website saying "Firefox Cannot find server at [ URL ]. I reset the router, updated firmware, cloned my pc mac address, disabled and enabled firewalls. I called Linksys and they ran me through all of the above steps again. I called them three times and they finally tried to charge me $30 to get anymore help. They said it was not the router and that it was the browser. To make a long story short, in the end I formatted my HDD to see if that would finally fix the problem. Now I am coming to you all for help. There was also one time where the only website I could go to was Google, but no other website. I forgot to metion that the whole time this happens it is completey random and usually just typing in 192.168.1.1 and going to the settings (without chaning anything) and hitting the refresh button on the page that will not load fixes the problem for about another 10 minutes. I am starting to think that I might have a faulty router, but I no longer have the reciept and cannot get it exchanged. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Mod edit: Remove email address.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect directly to the modem and see if you still have the issue. This will eliminate the router from the picture and tell us if it's the router or some other cause.

Note that I removed your email address from the message. Unless you want tons of SPAM, that's a bad idea. Also, we like to keep all the support in the forum, it helps insure better quality results with peer review of the answers.

3. jwhite508

jwhite508 Thread Starter

I already have connected it directly to the modem and it does fix the problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've already updated the firmware. After doing so it's good practice to then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure.

Are you experiencing this problem connecting to the router by wireless, ethernet or both?

Try completely disabling the wireless in the router and see if that makes any difference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice