1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AirBud, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AirBud

AirBud Thread Starter

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer.
    A few days ago when i went to turn on my computer it powered on but didnt post, then 3 seconds later it powered itself off. Right after this it proceeded to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till i shut it off. Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning.

When i tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and i used the computer for an hour or so before it froze, i reset it and from that point on it has gone back to powering on and off again.

I've had the computer for about 2-3 years and if it helps the specs are as follows.
    Intel 8200 CPU (not overclocked)
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    XFX 9800GTX
    Cosair 2x1024mb DDR2 Ram
    Coolermaster PSU 520w RS-520-asaa-a1
    250GB SATA Harddrive

I havent replaced any parts in the computer at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Soundy

Soundy

3. vicks

vicks

Have you tried to start it in safe mode, by continously tapping the F8 key while it is booting?
    Another thing might be the CMOS battery (small quarter sized battery on the motherboard) Inexpensive and easy to replace.
    Vicks

4. Soundy

Soundy

It's not even reaching POST, how is he going to get to Safe Mode?

5. AirBud

AirBud Thread Starter

Hi, i read the article about the capacitors and had a look at the ones on my motherboard, all of which seem to be showing none of the symptoms described in the article.
    I also cleared the CMOS by taking the battery out for 2 minutes but this did not solve the problem.

Note that i have also tried reseating the RAM and graphics card as well as reconnecting all the cables.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice