help please my network is not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ecam

hi all i have 2 pc networked up in my home and for some reason they have stoped working and i dont no y i am allso not very good on computers so i dont no what type of information to put here to help u peeps figer it out

were they working before? are they hooked together just by cable or by a router? Did you do anything specific that you remember that made them quit working?

ecam

killah said:
What operating systems on the computers? how are they networked?
both pc have xp pro and they r networked though network cards and a cable

Hey,
Ummm I think that either there is just some problem with your conection to your router or the network was disabled on your computer.

ecam

pctech_wannabe said:
were they working before? are they hooked together just by cable or by a router? Did you do anything specific that you remember that made them quit working?
yes they was working befour but over the last week some times when u load the second computer up the network dose not work properly but restarting the computer fixed it today the network was working fine and then i tryed instaling a computer game on the master computer and it made the master computer crash and after that the network has not worked

to add a little more information to ecams posts. we ran ipconfig in a command prompt and it came up with his ip address as starting with 169. and his subnet mask as 255.255.0.0. now i know these are wrong but i dont know what has caused these problems and therefore dont know how to fix it.

edit this is the computer that connects to the internet through the other computer.

reboot the modem maybe? turn everything off,then boot the modem first,then the router,then the main pc then the other. Just a thought.

pctech_wannabe said:
reboot the modem maybe? turn everything off,then boot the modem first,then the router,then the main pc then the other. Just a thought.
tried rebooting loads of times today. there is no router and the modem is a usb modem. the computers r connected with network cards and a crossover cable.

it should have a power on/off switch on the back,or else just unplug the power cord from it and plug it back in

update.

in the properties forTCP/IP we selected 'use the following IP address' and changed IP to 192.168.0.220, changed the subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 and changed the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 the network card then showed connected on both computers however we were still unabe to access the internet and couldnt ping either computers. i am starting to think the problem could be a bad network card or cable :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online