1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help please. not too complicated i hope!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bessie, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bessie

bessie Thread Starter

hi, can some one help me please. for no aparent reason when i put in a cd into the cd drive nothing is happening whether it be a music cd or photographs. normally if i put a cd in it automatically brings up the media player to play it or the photo viewing thingy to look at the pictures.

.however i was able to install a sony mp3 copy disc so it did recognise this disc.

also if i click on my computer to have a look at the disc it is showing as being empty but there is clearly a cd in the drive. i have system restore it to when i knew it was ok but still nothing.
    if i try and copy something onto a cd it again tells me there is no cd in the drive .

any ideas please.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Running Disk Cleanup sometimes fixes the problem. Make sure to check all the items you can, such as delete Temp and Internet files. To access it select Start, Accessories, System Tools, and select it.

3. bessie

bessie Thread Starter

i have done that dan and still nothing. any more ideas??

4. Dan O

Dan O

Run: SFC /SCANNOW

Which will check the Windows system files.

5. bessie

bessie Thread Starter

thanks but how do i do this. you have a bit of a dummy here.

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

7. bessie

bessie Thread Starter

re the frist. it says it cant find scannow

re the second . i did the wizard and it says either the eqipment is malfunctioning or the wizard cant find the problem..

will it help to totally crash the computer and re install the windows back to when i got it from the shop by re installing the three cd's they gave me??

will buying a disc cleaner thingy be any good if there is such a thing??

8. mike5532g

mike5532g

Make sure there is a space between sfc and /scannow.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice