1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Please! Numerous blue screens...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LVance, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

I am getting:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

AND

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I've read the reports on Microsoft.com, but all of them point to "new hardware". I haven't installed anything new! I don't understand what to do. I get these things once or even twice (sometimes more than that!) a day. Please help me. :(

2. abhinav2good

abhinav2good

When do u get this error message: startup, shutdown. which operating system do u have and what all hardware is attached to ur computer.

3. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

I usually get it when I watch a movie/after the movie ends, but it has been pretty randmo lately.

I have Windows XP and the hardware I use hasn't changed in many months. Just the typical stuff.

4. KHolloman

KHolloman

could possibly be a video driver, or RAM. Try swapping out the RAM.

5. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

I've updated my video card drivers. As for the ram, do you mean switch slots? I have two sticks in two slots. One is what I added, the other is what came with the emachines system...

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Try running on one stick at a time. That will eliminate the problem easiest

7. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

Ok. I removed the 125 stick that came with the computer and moved the 512 stick I bought to that slot. Lets see if this works. Just before I did this, the blue screen struck again and all I was doing was playing music in winamp. I hope this works. Thanks.

8. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

Didn't work. It just happened again: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while watching a movie.

:mad: :mad:

9. win98se

win98se

Download MemTest, put it on a floppy and run it. That will test the RAM. I too am not totally convinced that Microsoft's "driver" explanation is so.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most of the time that message is caused by poor quality or mis-matched ram. Here is a link to memtest86 you can run this from a floppy or from a bootable cd that it will make for you.

One other thing. Have you checked your temps?

11. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

How can I check my temps?

Edit: Can you explain to me how to use the floppy disk with mem on it?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can check them in the bios. Each bios is a little different; it might be under something like PCHealth or under cpu parameters.

While you are in the bios, check your voltages as well. They should be stable and very close to the design voltage ie 12V rail will read something 12.1 volts. If it is very far off or fluctuates, you may have a ps problem.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The file you download will make a bootable floppy for you. Just restart your system with the floppy in the A drive. Make sure the floppy is ahead of the hd in the boot order in your bios.
    When the system boots from the floppy, it will start the memtest program. Follow the menu to test your ram. It will take hours to do a complete test; I let memory testers run all night.

14. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

I see. Thanks.. I'm not too smart when it comes down to the gritty things.

I've got another problem. F10 nor F12 (when I hold either one of them down when restarting my computer) lets me in the BIOS. I don't even get a black screen. I just get the emachines logo, then the XP start up screen... how can I get into the BIOS?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not have a floppy in this system. I just checked with the cd iso image and it auto runs the program for you. Just boot with the cd and away you go.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice