1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP Please...OE4 to OE6 MDX to DBX/PST Conversion

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by raz, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hi guys

Same old story... lost my w98 1st edition PC to a HDD failure....Managed to recover the OE4 MDX files from the win 98 pc and tried to import them into OE6 on new Win XP. put them in a folder called c:\my documents\mail and ran import. OE6 could not find it. I am of the understanding that OE4 and OE6 have to be installled on the same machine for the import to work. I no longrt have OE4 does anyone have a copy or know where i can download one? Is there an easier way of converting MDX to DBX or even PST?

Does anyone know of a thrird party conversion/migration tool for this purpose.

Please I need some help urgently
    Cheers
    RAZ

2. sekirt

sekirt

Believe those are MBX?

MBX is before my email days, so don't really know details. Until someone comes along with something postitive, here is something you can investigate: Mahogany

According to their features page:
    Full support for SMTP, POP3, IMAP, NNTP and several different mail folder file formats (including MBOX, MBX and MH).

Download and see if it helps your situation.

http://mahogany.sourceforge.net/features.html

sekirt

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi raz

Outlook Express 4 had file pairs, .idx/.mbx did you save all the pairs as well as the Folders.nch file?

With Outlook Express 6, you can browse directly to the folder that contains the .dbx files,
    with Outlook Express 4 you browse to the folder containing the mail folder.

Try Browsing to c:\my documents and stop there.
    If you do not have the file pairs and Folders.nch the import will not work.

Download MBXtract and extract the messages from the .mbx files you have saved.
    Then drag those messages back into Outlook Express.

MBXtract requires the existence of the VB6 runtime dll, msvbvm60.dll.
    Which you can access from the link also given on that site.

Let us know what happens.

4. raz

raz Thread Starter

Cheers....it seems to be a great little utility.

I have them in *.eml format..how do i pull them back into outlook 2003 or OE6?

any pointers would be helpful...do I need to run the import wizard, if sowhich option do i need.

Thanks
    Raz

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Open Outlook Express,
    click on the folder you want the messages to be in,
    switch over to the folder containing your .eml files and drag a message down onto the Outlook Express button on the Task Bar.

Continue holding the message over the button and wait until Outlook Express appears and drag the message up into the right hand pane of Outlook Express, Release the message.

When you get the hang of it, you can select more than one message to move at the same time.

Or you can drag all the messages into your Inbox and sort them into their respective folders from there.

Let us know how it goes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice