1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please: RAM ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrintpopCEO, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrintpopCEO

PrintpopCEO Thread Starter

I am dumbfounded. I have a Compaq Presario 1700 Laptop, running Windows XP Pro, It came with 64 MB RAM, but I upgraded to 128MB, then bought a 2nd 128MB stick. IT has two RAM slots, both capable of supporting NO MORE than 256Megs per slot.
    Here's the problem, when I put both 128's in both slots, the computer powers up, but the screen doesn't come on, so I can't tell what else is going on. I also went and bought ONE 256MB card to put in just one slot, because the computer works fine (slow, but fine) with just ONE 128Meg card plugged in. SO...when I plug just ONE 256MB card into just one slot...same thing as having both 128MB cards in.....
    Any insight as to why I can only have one 128MB card plugged in, but not jsut one 25MB card, and not two 128MB cards?

2. paul selhi

paul selhi

does it work with the NEW 128 MB RAM alone ? in other words have you bought compatable RAM ?

just a thought

3. $teve

$teve

you will probably have to re-install xp with all the ram plugged in,that was my problem with xp at first,i upped my ram from 512 to 640,it would boot up only occasionally and lock up for no apparent reason.
    apparently xp like to see all the ram installed when the o/s goes in.

4. PrintpopCEO

PrintpopCEO Thread Starter

Yes paul, it will boot with just one of the 128MB RAM (either one that I have). Also when I have either BOTH in or the 256, it seems to start up...but no screen, so I dont' know if it's "booting" .

$teve, if I put the 256 in and then start I wont' be able to reinstall XP, because I can't see anything on the screen.

5. $teve

$teve

you will have to reformat and do a new install.
    i tried everything and got no joy,eventually,through a google search i found someone else with the same problem.
    there may be another way,but i couldnt find one.

6. paul selhi

paul selhi

is the new ram the same as the old ? it may be that they are incomaptable

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice