1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please!! Safetly remove hardware wont recoznize my usb device?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kymn07, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

If anyone could help me, seems as if my usb ( m3 player) doesnt come up in the safely remove hardware tool ? It shows up everywhere else? How do i safely remove this from my computer ? please, I have been working on this awhile if anyone can help.... thanks so much

2. guitar

guitar Banned

what happens if you just pull it out if no problems i wouldn't worry about it:)

3. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Can you just pull it out? I thought this would damage my device somehow? It is a mp3 player. thanks

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

It's not recommended that you just take it out, although having said that i've not had a problem with doing it, ever, not once - i never use the "remove safely" function and never will. Go into Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager) - check if any exclamation marks or question marks appear next to any of the devices/drivers etc.

5. johnpost

johnpost

as long as it is not reading or writning to the device then
    you are probably OK. look for no mention of file transfer activity
    in your computer file manager and on your player display,
    wait have a minute so you feel safe it's really done
    and pull the plug.

depending on the operating system and motherboard
    and devices they can sometimes give such behavior.

6. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Thank you very much

7. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

To be honest, you're better finding a solution to your problems rather than using a quick-fix that could potentially damage your system and/or MP3.

8. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Well, thats what I was thinking previously but I dont know what to do? The device shows up everywhere else? My computer, when I transfer files to the player , everything seems to work but it just doesnt show up in the safely remove hardware tool?

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Okay. Check my post above - that could help us finding the route of the problem, although it's unlikely.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I think if you look in the properties of the disk in Device Manager, you'll find that it's flagged for "Quick Removal". This means you don't need to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" procedure, just wait for activity to cease and yank it out. FWIW, any "damage" by unplugging a USB device while it's active is normally restricted to corrputing the data being transferred.

11. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Do you mean the post about going into the device manager? I have done that and everything is working properly it says, no exclamation points? I just dont understand why its not coming up in the safely remove hardware on my taskbar? All of my other usb devices are showing up? Thanks for any help...

12. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Thanks again, please understand I am kind of a intermediate user, when I look in device manager it comes up under portable device, but i see no where there is any kind of flag for quick removal? But as long as there is no activity on the device I can pull it out? I will just do this because I have no idea what else to do with it... thanks again for your help

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Go to Device Manager, under the Disk Drives section, look for your drive. Select Properties, and then the Policies tab. This is what I see for my USB FLASH storage.

Take note that it says I don't need to use the Safe Removal icon.

Attached Files:

14. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

There you go, John to the rescue again! :)

15. Kymn07

Kymn07 Thread Starter

Well , I just went to disk drives and I dont see my device? I see all of the other ones , just like in the safely remove tools taskbar? I have installed everything and in the device manager it is under portable device? Can you help me to figure out how to get it to be recognized in disk drives? thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice