1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please - Spyware Takeover Question

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by golferguy, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Good day all.
    Recently, we loaned our one of our computers to a family member at college (let the arrow slinging begin). We just got it back.

Programs appeared to work as advertised. However, about 10-20 seconds after I started Firefox, IE starts (on its own) and goes to a random page. This happens on all user profiles. I did receive a couple of notifications of a “threat” from AVG. I killed them right away. Apologies that I didn’t take note of what they were. I run AVG Anti-virus (daily), Spybot, Ad-aware, Spyware Doctor (every couple of days).

Here’s my question: Before I bog you all down with a Hijack This Log, should I run my spyware/anti-virus programs in “Safe Mode” first to try and kill whatever is in there?

I appreciate the help once again!!!!

Golferguy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice