Help Please: Transfering files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrokenAgain

Hey everyone! I've got a HP 864n that won't boot up. It gives me the message that it needs the system disk and so on. It did this about a month ago and I was able to do a system restore, this time it won't even go there. Well I figure this is a sign that it's time to get a new one. My problem is how do I retrieve the files off the broke computer to put on the new one? Also I don't understand the process of transferring the files from the old to the new. I refuse to pay for this cause I know I can do it myself. Please help!

Steve

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can remove the hard disk and put it into a cheap USB enclosure and copy files from it. You can also buy an adapter and connect it to an IDE port on another computer.

Finally, you can boot from a live boot CD like Puppy Linux and copy the files across a network.

BrokenAgain

Alright, I got the enclosure and I've named the drive. Now it's asking me to format the disk so I can use it. I think this is bad because doesn't formatting the disk erase everything that on the disk? I don't want to do this right?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online