1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Please walk me through this Graphics Driver Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kirei Blossom, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirei Blossom

Kirei Blossom Thread Starter

Hi,

I've desperately been trying to fix my laptop for the past few days without any luck. I have a Vista Home Basic 64-bit Dell laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 Graphics Card. A few days ago, I started having black screens and freezes on startup from hibernation, and a Windows message informed me that the ATI driver needed updating.

I downloaded this driver: http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDo...Graphics-Driver-100-Rev-B-Download-85691.html

Next, I uninstalled two ATI entries I found in the Programs and Features via the Control Panel. Then I went into Safe Mode and ran Driver Cleaner. While cleaning, it showed me some files it cleaned but then the DC became unresponsive and I just closed it by clicking the 'X' in the corner. I ran it again, and it became unresponsive again but it showed no files were cleaned, so I assumed it did its job.

I rebooted and double clicked the driver I'd downloaded from the link above. After a few options, it gave me a "Overwrite Protection" window saying these files exist in the C:/ and do I want to replace them? I chose to say "yes to all", and then nothing happened, and after quite a while, I got an error window that ATI catalyst had closed.

Please, I don't know what to do. I really need to urgently fix my laptop ASAP, so please please help! Much appreciated. Thank you.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Driver cleaners dont need to be used.Try going to the website of who made the computer like dell, lenovo, ibm, etc, and get the correct drivers you need for your model of computer.Most kinds of so called cleaners do more damage than they fix.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is good advise; you need to download the driver from the laptop maker NOT softpedia.

Next since you ran the driver cleaner, I would highly advise you to also download and install your chipset driver. Install this before you attempt the video driver install.

In addition I would also advise you to make a backup of the system prior to messing with drivers, etc.

4. Kirei Blossom

I went to the Dell website, typed in my service tag number and then went to Drivers and Downloads. It only shows 7 drivers for my model, and none of which are video drivers.

What should I do?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sometimes they are what are called integrated drivers. Send me a PM with the service tag # and I will have a look.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    They might be listed as video, graphics, chipset etc.Most computers use either intel, amd,ati, etc.

7. manuleka

manuleka

did you make some recent updates? i'm currently using an Acer Apire 5810T which runs on a HD 4330 Mobility chipset and currently running Mobility Modder because windows XP doesn't have specific driver for it

any restore points on you're system?

8. Kirei Blossom

Yes, I have a restore point for yesterday before I uninstalled the ATI....

This is just so frustrating. I've updating video card drivers on my previous computer and once I found the correct driver to install, installing never caused any problems.

9. manuleka

manuleka

this could be a compatible issue between the mobility modder software and Windows or another piece of software that you recently added into you're machine.... just to ensure if it isn't a hardware problem, try running a live Linux CD/USB... for example: Ubuntu

i came across a DVD Burner malfunction on a Windows 7 Laptop... so i firstly ran a LinuxMint Live USB to see if it will recognize the DVD device and it was running perfectly well, so ended up reinstalling driver for it on Windows 7 and fixed the issue... i then realised there was a recent update done to the Laptop that caused the DVD problem

try running a Linux Live Media and see if you're graphics is working ok, if it is then we'll focus on software side only

10. Kirei Blossom

Wow, half of that stuff in the above post just went over my head. All I know is that I haven't recently installed any new software at all. I generally keep my laptop with only the basic necessary software, and just generally use it for internet use or reading pdfs or word documents. No gaming, not much multimedia, nothing.

How can installing drivers be so complicated?

Well how do I start with this ubuntu thing? Or should I try doing a system restore first?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the dell site and the drivers you need are there. Click the tab that says all drivers for the Inspiron and the ati driver is listed there. Again since you were messing with it, I would install the chipset driver first then the ait driver.

12. Kirei Blossom

Thank you for the above! I was beginning to resign myself to the fact that I'd have to reformat my computer, but there seems to be some hope after all.

A few questions: So the drivers listed under Inspiron 1440 are all relevant to my laptop? I mean, the ATI listed is the exact match for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330? Why don't they list the entire name so laypeople don't get confused?

Secondly, which chipset driver is mine? Do I check in my Device Manager to find this out? Under which heading? Because the site lists two intel and one realtek chipset driver.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Install the gm45 driver, then the ati driver. As always before you go messing with anything, have a current backup of anything important ie docs, data files, etc.

14. manuleka

manuleka

download Ubuntu from Ubuntu.com and burn the iso into a CD and restart you're laptop and choose to boot from CD...

to make sure you get the right chipset driver, you might have to look up the model number of you're Laptop... can you tell us you're Laptop Brand and Model?

for example - mine is Acer Aspire 5810TG-354G50Mn

it's usually on a sticker underneath laptop

15. Kirei Blossom

Yes, it's a Dell Inspiron 1440. I've backed up all my files and am now downloading the driver files. Once downloaded, how do I proceed to install?

Crjdriver - how did you know it was the GM45 driver and not the AHCI ?

Edit: One more question - on the Dell website where I download the ATI drivers, under the Compatibility tab it says its for Inspiron 1440 Windows 7 . I have Vista 64 bit. Does that make a difference?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice