Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP PLEASE with 'clean' re-install of XP on Acer Netbook

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  stevedann 
#1 ·
Decided to try and sort out erratic performance of Acer Aspire netbook by doing clean install of XP SP3 to replace XP SP2. This was not the original operating system and there is no hidden partition so far as I can tell with restore software on it.

Because there's no DVD drive I copied XP SP3 installation disc onto a USB hard drive and made sure USB HDD was first choice for boot up in the BIOS (although I don't think I've made the USB drive bootable, I'm a bit vague on this)

Anyway by opening the copy of my disc on the USB HD and clicking the set up icon. installation appeared to happen (took about an hour)

Problems are these ..;.

Despite system info showing that SP3 is installed the desktop is the same as it was before the install and the performance issues are the same with applications not shutting down properly and a warning about an unspecified missing file on start up.

I've tried re-installing XP SP3 several times, the first time I had the option to partition (but not format) but may have made a mess of it as I've ended up with a hard drive which is one large partitition and also 8MB of unallocated space that I can't do anything with.

I thought about trying to create another partition get a working install of XP SP3 on that then perhaps delete the other OS from the other pertition.

Problem is I'm now out of my depth and am confused about volumes, partitions and logical drives. Nothing I've searched for in the forums or internet at large has sorted me out.

I've also tried chkdsk. repairing and formatting from DOS but the operations on the (NTFS) drive are not allowed.

Don't really need to understand things so much as get a dummies guide to where I go from here to put things right. I hope I'm missing something obvious. All data is safely backed up so I can be as radical as I like.

HELP PLEASE !!!!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.