1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Please! Writing to CD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jackbmc, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

Please help if you can! I am copying a Word 2000 file to a CDRW disk but each time it indicates the result is a "Read Only" file and will not let me change anything...the original file is NOT Read Only as I have edited it many times. I am attempting to copy this file (32 MB) so that a person in Europe can edit it before publishing the newsletter. I have Windows XP and am using the software that came with the computer.

How can I change the file in order that another person can edit it?

Thanks

Jack
    NC

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

try this:

right click on the file (the one that you copied FROM the CD that is now on the hard drive), then click Properties. At the bottom take the check mark out of Read Only.

CD's will do this sometimes....

MBN

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

CD-R's and CD-RW's are Read Only.
    The "RW" means they are ReWriteable not Read-Write, in that they can be erased and rewritten, but not simply changed as to content on the CD.

Therefore a file on a CD-R or CD-RW will be Read Only in nature.

When you copy a file from a CD to the HDD, the Read Only setting may follow in some cases, and this can be removed.

Some variations exist using packet writing to a CD-RW, however.

4. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

From your original post. Couldn't the person receiving the CD copy the files to their hard drive and edit away on their own computer?

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

gsmitheman, often, when you copy the file over, the read-only status remains - even on the new file on the hd....a quick right click>properties>untick read only and you're ready to roll.

MBN

6. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

Friends,
    Thank you for your prompt responses. I have tried to change "read only" using the Properties feature as noted above. The message I get is "an error has occurred" and "access is denied". Even if I click "ignore" nothing changes.

One note above suggests the CD-RW's are ALL read only. If this is correct, how does one transmit any file for editing purposes by another person when using a CD? There must surely be a way.

Thanks again and hopefully you can help me resolve this matter with this additional information.

Jack

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CD-R or CD-RW is used for file transport only. At the other end the file is transferred to a read-write medium (HDD or Floppy) and edited.

Then its burnt onto another CD-R or CD-RW to be returned.

As noted above, CD-R and CD-RW are really "archival" medium, and not Read-Write medium.
    They are not designed to have their contents changed, thats the very issue. They are designed explicitly to safeguard the contents from being changed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice