1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP Please !!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jim624, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I just got an old Packard Bell ....1.45 GB HD....16 MB ram, 120MHZ....it's very slow. I got it so my daughter would not be on my computer all the time !! Anyways....It came from a company and I want to refomrat it.....how do I go about that ??? I've got a windows95 Disk ....do I simply go to Command and type format C: ?? Or just what ???

Any help would be appreciated. My daughter would greatly appreciate it !!

Jim

2. $teve

$teve

you need a windows 95 boot disk from here:
    http://www.downseek.com/download/4129.asp

make sure your bios is set to boot from floppy.

Insert your boot disk in the floppy drive and start the computer. Once the system has completed booting and an A: prompt appears......type format c:/

Your screen should display the size of your drive and a countdown in percentage of formatting completed. Depending on your computer's speed and the size of the drive it willtake few minutes.
    You will see one last message:
    Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
    Type anything you like or leave it blank - [Press ENTER]

You can now begin to load your Operating System.

good luck

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

One word of caution that will save a lot of head aches later on.

Be sure that the CDRom does not require proprietery drivers. If it does then you will need a floppy disk with the CDRom drivers unless you can identify which drivers are needed and download them. I suggest that you go to the site that Steve provided and download the Win98 boot disk which has generic CDRom drivers included in it which will work with a majority of CDRom drives. After you have downloaded the boot disk insert it in the floppy drive of the computer and power it up. Choose "start with CDRom support". Watch for a line telling you which drive letter has been assigned to the CDRom (usually E:, but could be R: or D: depending on the boot disk.) When you get to the A:\> prompt, type which ever letter is assigned (ie: e: ) and press enter. Now at the E:\> prompt type dir and press enter. (Be sure that you have inserted the Win95 CD into the drive first)

If a listing of files and directories show up, you're good to go with the reformat. If you get an error post back here with what it says before you reformat.

4. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I put the reboot disk in and went through the first part....but then it says it can't find my CDROM........any help out there ??

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You could try setting the CD drive to be first boot device in your BIOS- watch the message at bootup that tells you how to enter Setup, usually the DEL key or F2...it might be different.
    Look for the Boot Priority, Boot Order, Boot something or other category that may let you set your CD drive as the FIRST boot drive...then you must SAVE and EXIT, again, it tells you usually over on the side or at bottom of screen, what key to push to save and exit....if a "y" is flashing for yes to save and exit, just hit the Enter key to OK your changes and reboot. Reboot with Windows 95 CD in.....the 98 CDs are bootable, and 95 should be, too. Say yes to CDROM support, know the letter of the CD drive, and change to that directory (drive) by typing that letter next to the prompt....if it changes, type just setup and hit enter to possibly start the Windows installation. There just is no guarantee....sometimes, it takes several attempts with different bootdisks....
    Don't you have the Packard Bell boot floppy and Restore CD??
    Or, like a lot of folks, do you just prefer plain Win95? The Restore CDs will not usually run if the CD drive has been changed from the original NEC CDROM. I know, have been confronted with this issue several times....I usually tell the folks to purchase win98se.
    If by any chance, you still have the original CD drive (look at the label on top of drive, you'll have to unscrew it to slide it out or take the top off computer to see it) your Restore CD might run if you download the special boot floppy- PBs came with one when new, they are part of the Restore "kit".

6. Byteman

jim624--- What is the model of the PB?

7. Byteman

jim624

Here is good list of CDROM drivers---you will have to open the pc and write down your model number.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/system/CDrom.html

You can read through this page, but I doubt it will help you.
    You can see how the lines should appear in the system files for the CDROM drivers to load.
    You may be having trouble with the secondary IDE controller of your motherboard....if you can get to Windows, what shows for the CDROM drive, and the Hard Disk Controllers? Any yellow ! marks or red X's in Device Manager anywhere?

8. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

OK.....latest update:

I called PB (Priority) And they told me that the master Disk that I have is probably bad.......so I asked them if I could just reformat and bootup with a windows 98 Startup disk and install 98 and not even mess with their software...he said of course I can.......now I keep getting the following message .. "Not ready Reading Drive E"....The CDROM light is on and the cdrom is spinning....what do I do now ?????

Jim

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You probably need real mode drivers for the cdrom.

You are using a boot disk with cdrom support before you try the install, correct?

10. ~Candy~

PM from poster:I

've got the proper drivers....the CDROM is spinning and light's up....I just can't seem to get my Windows 98 disk to open up......

My response: (it'll be easer if you'll just post back to the thread as I may be away)

Just because it is spinning and it lights up, doesn't mean the correct drivers are loaded....do you have a windows 98 boot disk that you are booting to?

11. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

yep...I've got the proper drivers..........I can get to the prompt for the CDROM but I can't view the files on the CD

12. ~Candy~

Try gently cleaning the 98 cd with a damp lint free cloth.....

Are you getting an error message? Unable to read?

13. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

The CD is shinier than my bald head in August !! All's it says is "Not ready reading Drive"

14. ~Candy~

Can you try other cds?

Has the cdrom drive worked prior? The lens could need cleaning.....

15. ~Candy~

It also could be broken....and as silly as this sounds, you are sure you have the cd in the drive with the shiney side down, right?

And as a side note, this is an ORIGINAL cd, not a burnt copy....some older drives will NOT read burnt cds.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice