Help, Please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EricM

Ran Scandisk on my emachines Me system. Lost my D and E drives. Used "Drive Rescue" to retrieve as much info as I could. Got my drives back but lost enough other info that my system restore disk won't. Is it possible to do the MS-Dos restore or is my system to messed up and I need a new one? I'm pretty new at this but I learn quickly if someone is kind enough to help.
Or if it's possible I'd rather install 98se over me from an 98se upgrade disk I saved from my last computer,if that's possible? Thanx, I really appreciate it
Eric

You can run the Windows Registry Checker tool (Scanreg.exe).
# Restart the computer with the Emergency Boot Diskette (EBD) in the floppy disk drive, and then choose the Minimal boot option.
# At the C: prompt,type scanreg /restore,( note space between g /) and then press ENTER.

hl5

Eric,

That's a tricky one. If you "lost" your D and E drives, that could mean a lot of things. It could mean the drives just aren't visible, and it could mean the data is destroyed. I'd be careful about running (more) data recovery programs until it's clear what happened. Your Windows is usually on drive C, but you didn't mention that drive. I assume that drive is messed up as well?

Scandisk is usually a very reliable program, so if it trashed your disks there is probably something very wrong with your disks. I might try a program like Steve Gibson's SpinRite in a situation like this if you need any of that data. It's about $90 though.

There are some other alternatives like Ontrack and some cheap ones if you're willing to gamble. (If you can't boot Windows, you can go with a DOS utility; SpinRite is DOS as well.)

http://www.hotlib.com/products1.php?id=19658
http://www.rssoftlab.com/
http://www.floborecovery.com/
http://www.unistal.com/disk_repair.html
http://www.daolnwod.com/acronis_disk_editor_60_8895.htm

There are also a bunch of other generic file/data recovery programs available. (Again, if you can't boot Windows, you can go with a DOS utility like Active Uneraser. Commercial packages like System Mechanic and SystemSuite also come with disk tools. I'm really not a fan of the bloated Norton products but Norton Utilities has a disk fixer as well.)

How old is this drive? Is it a name brand? Have you used Scandisk before? What were the symptoms?

There are also professional data recovery services out there if the data is really critical and you have no other recourse, but that's hundreds and usually thousands of dollars.

If you simply want to reinstall Windows, I wouldn't go to a lower version unless you want to wipe the drive. Honestly, if you care at all about that data and want to get back up and running right away I would probably just buy a new hard drive and plug it in. They're usually fairly easy to install if you're handy with a screwdriver and you can get one in the $50 range these days. If you don't care about the data as much you can just wipe the drive and start over, but I would be wary of that drive. Scandisk doesn't usually mess up disks like that. (SpinRite can actually tweak the disk surface if it's getting old or the magnetism is weakened by flipping bits around, which is why I thought that might be an option if you care about this disk.)

Before you do put anything critical back on this drive, try to figure out just what happened. Otherwise use the drive for low priority stuff for awhile.

(BTW, I can't guarantee I'll be around to keep helping you but there are lots of other people here who can if I'm not.)

[edit: forgot to mention that Augie65's solution is a good quick thing to try as well if Windows simply won't boot and you haven't had the problem for long. That will restore an old copy of your system settings; however it's possible that far more than just your system settings are messed up, in which case it won't work.]

EricM

Hl5 and Augie 65,
I really appreciate yout help.

After using drive rescue I've got C,D andE drives working again. I tried a complete restore w the emachines disks and got these messages.
First one read "Cannot open R:\667IR_C.IMG"
after hitting OK the next message reads "Critical Error 0x00 attempt to write to write protected disk"
After hitting Abort #3 message reads "Cannot open GHOST.ERR"
Finally after hitting abort again, the last message reads "Application Error 11000 Invalid Dump File contact local symantec dealer"

Thats why I'm trying to figure out if I can reformat this disk or if I should trash it. Doesn't matter if I lose the info on the disk, just hate to have to go out and buy another "box" when, other than this, this thing has run well for years.

Any further thoughts?

Again, thanx much,
Eric

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts